* Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
@ 2021-09-07  3:58 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-09-07  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Since I always forget, I decided to put together a summary of the process:
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2021/09/building-vanilla-emacs-on-macos-with.html

Let me know if there are obvious mistakes.

TIA.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
@ 2021-09-07 10:17 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-09-07 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> Since I always forget, I decided to put together a summary of the
> process:
> https://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2021/09/building-vanilla-emacs-on-macos-with.html

Thanks for documenting it. I would like you to create two sub-sections
for essential and recommended brew packages. You have already specified
the essential packages without which Emacs won’t build. If you install
the following packages then these will be picked up by the ‘configure’
script without explicitly passing any options. I have arrived at this
list after several iterations.

brew install \
	 libjpeg \
	 libxpm \
	 libtiff \
	 libpng \
	 librsvg \
	 jansson \
	 lcms2 \
	 giflib

Regards ~Pankaj

* Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
@ 2021-09-07 11:28   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-09-07 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Sep 7, 2021, at 19:17, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
>> Since I always forget, I decided to put together a summary of the
>> process:
>> https://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2021/09/building-vanilla-emacs-on-macos-with.html
>
> Thanks for documenting it. I would like you to create two sub-sections
> for essential and recommended brew packages. You have already specified
> the essential packages without which Emacs won’t build. If you install
> the following packages then these will be picked up by the ‘configure’
> script without explicitly passing any options. I have arrived at this
> list after several iterations.

Pankaj,

Thank you very much for this list. I'll be adding it to the post.

JC

@ 2021-09-07 13:36   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-09-07 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you Pankaj,

I've updated the document with your suggestions:

--

@ 2021-09-07 17:49     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-09-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> I've updated the document with your suggestions:
>
> https://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2021/09/building-vanilla-emacs-on-macos-with.html

I am sure, your article will be useful to many. Thanks for mentioning me
there. Now, my ego-search will have one more result. :-D

--
Regards ~Pankaj

* Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
@ 2021-09-07 23:03   ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-09-07 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 03:47:31PM +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
> > Since I always forget, I decided to put together a summary of the
> > process:
> > https://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2021/09/building-vanilla-emacs-on-macos-with.html
>
> Thanks for documenting it. I would like you to create two sub-sections
> for essential and recommended brew packages. You have already specified
> the essential packages without which Emacs won’t build. If you install
> the following packages then these will be picked up by the ‘configure’
> script without explicitly passing any options. I have arrived at this
> list after several iterations.

> brew install \
> 	 libjpeg \
> 	 libxpm \
> 	 libtiff \
> 	 libpng \
> 	 librsvg \
> 	 jansson \
> 	 lcms2 \
> 	 giflib

In it's default set-up Emacs on macOS won't use libjpeg, libtiff,
libpng and giflib even if they're installed as those image types are
all built into NSImage, which is the default. So they're not
essential.

I'm not sure about libxpm, I think we have specific code in Emacs
itself to deal with them... Or maybe I'm thinking of some other X
bitmap format...?

--
Alan Third

* Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
@ 2021-09-07 23:44     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-09-07 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Pankaj Jangid, emacs-devel

Alan,

I've modified the post accordingly. Thank you both for your help.

JC

--

@ 2021-09-08  2:54     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-09-08  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

> In it's default set-up Emacs on macOS won't use libjpeg, libtiff,
> libpng and giflib even if they're installed as those image types are
> all built into NSImage, which is the default. So they're not
> essential.

Ok. Then there is a bug in the generated ‘configure’ script. In my
trials, ‘./configure’, said ‘no’ for the above libraries when I didn’t
install the Homebrew packages and ‘yes’ otherwise.

@ 2021-09-08 15:24       ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-09-08 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 08:24:59AM +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>
> > In it's default set-up Emacs on macOS won't use libjpeg, libtiff,
> > libpng and giflib even if they're installed as those image types are
> > all built into NSImage, which is the default. So they're not
> > essential.
>
> Ok. Then there is a bug in the generated ‘configure’ script. In my
> trials, ‘./configure’, said ‘no’ for the above libraries when I didn’t
> install the Homebrew packages and ‘yes’ otherwise.

that's true, but you don't require them as long as configure reports:

    Does Emacs use native APIs for images?                  yes (ns)

If you have both native API and the libraries built-in you can make
Emacs use either, although I can't remember off-hand how to force it
to use the libraries.

Now, if you're building Emacs 27 it won't report that, but it will
still prefer the native image API, and I'd suggest whatever else you
do you don't actually want to use giflib as the native gif support is
less buggy.
--
Alan Third

* Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
@ 2021-09-09  3:47         ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-09-09  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

>> Ok. Then there is a bug in the generated ‘configure’ script. In my
>> trials, ‘./configure’, said ‘no’ for the above libraries when I didn’t
>> install the Homebrew packages and ‘yes’ otherwise.
>
> that's true, but you don't require them as long as configure reports:
>
>     Does Emacs use native APIs for images?                  yes (ns)
>
> If you have both native API and the libraries built-in you can make
> Emacs use either, although I can't remember off-hand how to force it
> to use the libraries.
>
> Now, if you're building Emacs 27 it won't report that, but it will
> still prefer the native image API, and I'd suggest whatever else you
> do you don't actually want to use giflib as the native gif support is
> less buggy.

Thanks for this info, Alan.