* git flow for emacs master/emacs-25
@ 2015-11-14 23:10 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2015-11-14 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I created a separate git workspace for emacs-25, via the following
commands:

    cd /Projects/emacs/master
    git fetch
    git branch emacs-25 origin/emacs-25
    cd ..
    git clone -b emacs-25 /Projects/emacs/master emacs-25
    cd emacs-25

This allows me to have both master and emacs-25 always checked out and
compiled, and reduces disk space in the repositories, and the time it
takes to update the repositories, and the load on savannah.

I can commit and try to push:

    cd /Projects/emacs/emacs-25
    git commit ...
    git push

That pushes from the local emacs-25 repository to the local master
repository; still need to push to savannah:

    cd ../master
    git push

That fails because there are new commits on emacs-25.

So I want to update the emacs-25 workspace via:

    cd /Projects/emacs/master
    git fetch --all
    cd ../emacs-25
    git fetch --all
    git rebase

The "git fetch" in master shows the new commits in emacs-25.

But the "git fetch" in emacs-25 doesn't fetch the commits.

What am I missing?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: git flow for emacs master/emacs-25
@ 2015-11-16  8:20 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2015-11-16  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> I created a separate git workspace for emacs-25, via the following
> commands:
>
>     cd /Projects/emacs/master
>     git fetch
>     git branch emacs-25 origin/emacs-25
>     cd ..
>     git clone -b emacs-25 /Projects/emacs/master emacs-25
>     cd emacs-25
>
> This allows me to have both master and emacs-25 always checked out and
> compiled, and reduces disk space in the repositories, and the time it
> takes to update the repositories, and the load on savannah.

If you want to save disk space please take a look at git worktree.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: git flow for emacs master/emacs-25
@ 2015-11-16 16:59 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-11-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The "git fetch" in master shows the new commits in emacs-25.
> But the "git fetch" in emacs-25 doesn't fetch the commits.

Your local clone only fetches from the remote commits it knows about, which
would be every local branch in the original repository. The original
repository fetches from every remote commit it knows about, which are all the
branches up on Savannah.

Try looking at git branch -av in both repositories, and it should become
clear.

Also, you don't only need the local branch in the original repository tracking
the Savannah branch, you need to *update* that local branch before your local
clone will see the new commits from savannah.

I think you'll be much happier with "git worktree", or with two separate
clones from Savannah, that you will be with the clone you've already made.

John