* Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12  0:37 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-12  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Andreas, I just did a pull of the git mirror and all the tags I had
deleted and renamed came back to life.

The deletion script I use is this:

git tag -d $1
git push origin :$1

so I'm not just deleting them locally. Could your mirroring script
be having an unexpected side effect?

You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will
convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it
would do and the harm it would cause if improperly administered
	-- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12  0:57 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2014-01-12  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

esr@thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> Andreas, I just did a pull of the git mirror and all the tags I had
> deleted and renamed came back to life.
>
> The deletion script I use is this:
>
> git tag -d $1
> git push origin :$1

That sounds like a bad idea.  You probably want
git push origin :refs/tags/$1

to avoid branches or other stuff disappearing.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12  1:06   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-12  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:
> esr@thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>
> > Andreas, I just did a pull of the git mirror and all the tags I had
> > deleted and renamed came back to life.
> >
> > The deletion script I use is this:
> >
> > git tag -d $1
> > git push origin :$1
>
> That sounds like a bad idea.  You probably want
> git push origin :refs/tags/$1
>
> to avoid branches or other stuff disappearing.

Since all I've actually deleted with it is *-base and *-branchpoint tags,
I think we're pretty safe.  Amended.

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12  9:41 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-01-12  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

esr@thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> Andreas, I just did a pull of the git mirror and all the tags I had
> deleted and renamed came back to life.

This is correct.  My mirror script will overwrite _any_ changes in the
git repo.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12 12:49   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>:
> This is correct.  My mirror script will overwrite _any_ changes in the
> git repo.

Well, hell.  I wish somebody had told me that sooner.

Now I'll have redo all those operations by hand, either on the Bazaar
repo or the final git one.

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12 12:54     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2014-01-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>:
>> This is correct.  My mirror script will overwrite _any_ changes in the
>> git repo.
>
> Well, hell.  I wish somebody had told me that sooner.
>
> Now I'll have redo all those operations by hand, either on the Bazaar
> repo or the final git one.

Before you waste even more time: I don't think it will work on the
Bazaar repo, since I guess those tags will be restored as soon as
anybody pushes who has those tags locally (i.e., everyone).

-David

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12 13:07     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2014-01-12 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>:
>> This is correct.  My mirror script will overwrite _any_ changes in the
>> git repo.
>
> Well, hell.  I wish somebody had told me that sooner.

Uh, you wrote yourself in your migrate-to-git plan as one important step
"stop mirroring".

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12 13:11       ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-12 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:
> Uh, you wrote yourself in your migrate-to-git plan as one important step
> "stop mirroring".

Yes, but the way I assumed it was being done wouldn't restore tags.
That'll teach me to make assumptions.

* Re: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
@ 2014-01-12 14:02     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-01-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>:
>> This is correct.  My mirror script will overwrite _any_ changes in the
>> git repo.
>
> Well, hell.  I wish somebody had told me that sooner.

Sorry for being unclear.  With mirroring I mean really git push
--mirror.

Andreas.

--

@ 2014-01-12 19:01       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-01-12 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

David Engster wrote:

> Before you waste even more time: I don't think it will work on the
> Bazaar repo, since I guess those tags will be restored as soon as
> anybody pushes who has those tags locally (i.e., everyone).

Yes, that is exactly what happened the last time I tried to delete tags,
as explained in the thread I originally referenced at the start of this.