* Central European/Cyrillic display support for Carbon Emacs
@ 2004-12-01 10:11 YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2004-12-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently, display support of Central European and Cyrillic characters
for Carbon Emacs (without ETL fonts) is added to CVS.  These
characters are supposed to be displayed by one of the followings.

  1. Using a predefined fontset "fontset-mac".
     (set-frame-font "fontset-mac")

  2. Creating a fontset from a Mac Roman font.
     (set-frame-font
      (create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font
       "-apple-lucida sans typewriter-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-120-mac-roman")

  3. Extending an existing fontset.
     (set-frame-font
       (fontset-add-mac-fonts "SOME-EXISTING-FONTSET"))

You can test it with `C-h h' or `M-x list-charset-chars RET
cyrillic-iso8859-5 RET'.

Steven Tamm and I have exchanged emails about this feature, but these
characters are not displayed in his environment.  We could not figure
out what's the difference, so I would like to ask Carbon Emacs users
to test whether this feature works or not.  Please use -Q option
(e.g., `/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q' from
Terminal.app) when invoking, and include the OS version together with
the primary language you chose when installing Mac OS X.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Central European/Cyrillic display support for Carbon Emacs
@ 2004-12-01 15:43 ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-12-01 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the past you also posted some "small diffs" for Carbon emacs. Which of
these are still relevant?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: Central European/Cyrillic display support for Carbon Emacs
@ 2004-12-02  1:07   ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2004-12-02  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> In the past you also posted some "small diffs" for Carbon
> emacs. Which of these are still relevant?

As for the ones I posted with the subject "Small patches for Mac OS
X", the latest CVS contains all of them.

@ 2004-12-03 14:43 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2004-12-03 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp> writes:

> Recently, display support of Central European and Cyrillic characters
> for Carbon Emacs (without ETL fonts) is added to CVS.  These
> characters are supposed to be displayed by one of the followings.
>
>   1. Using a predefined fontset "fontset-mac".
>      (set-frame-font "fontset-mac")

This works for me.

>   2. Creating a fontset from a Mac Roman font.
>      (set-frame-font
>       (create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font
>        "-apple-lucida sans typewriter-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-120-mac-roman")

I don't have that font, but substituting Monaco works.

>   3. Extending an existing fontset.
>      (set-frame-font
>        (fontset-add-mac-fonts "SOME-EXISTING-FONTSET"))

Didn't try that.

> You can test it with `C-h h' or `M-x list-charset-chars RET
> cyrillic-iso8859-5 RET'.
>
> Steven Tamm and I have exchanged emails about this feature, but these
> characters are not displayed in his environment.  We could not figure
> out what's the difference, so I would like to ask Carbon Emacs users
> to test whether this feature works or not.  Please use -Q option
> (e.g., `/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q' from
> Terminal.app) when invoking, and include the OS version together with
> the primary language you chose when installing Mac OS X.

I have Mac OS X 10.3.6, English version.

Thanks a lot for this!  Being able to read both Latin-1 and Cyrillic
letters, instead of just seeing hollow boxes, is very nice.

Magnus

* Re: Central European/Cyrillic display support for Carbon Emacs
@ 2004-12-17  7:34   ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2004-12-17  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)