* 23.0.50; C-M-p is missing (carbon emacs)
@ 2008-01-21  3:25 William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-01-21  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Other similar keys like C-M-n, C-M-u, etc are all okay.  Only this key
is missing.  Who is stealing that?

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/Users/william/share/emacs/23.0.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin9.1.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
 of 2008-01-20 on zen
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.5.1
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/Users/william' '--with-carbon' '--without-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: chinese-iso-8bit
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  which-function-mode: t
  global-pabbrev-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-smiley-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  page-break-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
q <f12> . q <f6> s <return> j r <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> q c y n <return> <return> j SPC
Q <return> j j j k r q j j j r q j j j j k r j j j
j j j j j j j j j j j SPC j f q j j r q c y <return>
j r q j j j j j j j j j j M-< r q M-> k k k k k r n
q j r j j g q r q j r q j j j j c y <return> <return>
SPC b j j j j j SPC b g j j j Q s n <return> j j r
SPC n n n n n n n n j j f g q j j j j j j j j <f1>
k <escape> <escape> j <f1> k C-M-n C-@ M-f M-f M-f
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Fetching headers for gmane.emacs.devel...done
Scoring...done
Generating summary...done
Auto-saving...
Mark set
Error during redisplay: (quit) [4 times]
ESC M-j (translated from <escape> <escape> j) is undefined
Type q to delete the help window.
Mark set
Making completion list...

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: 23.0.50; C-M-p is missing (carbon emacs)
@ 2008-01-21  3:31 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-01-21  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xu; +Cc: emacs-devel

William Xu wrote:

> In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin9.1.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)

As you surely know, this is not supported. You're on your own.

* Re: 23.0.50; C-M-p is missing (carbon emacs)
@ 2008-01-21  4:04   ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-01-21  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

>> In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin9.1.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
>
> As you surely know, this is not supported. You're on your own.

Okay... i was just expecting that someone might at least shed some light
on how to debug that.

btw, it seems now carbon emacs is working much better than before ! I
can type as fast as can, not that before, when if you type too fast, you
have to wait some sec before emacs displays all characters on the
screen.

This is a fresh checkout and built on 20080120. As I have not followed
the cvs for quite nearly a month, I'm not quite sure which change should
take this credits.  Anyway, good news it is ! (since I'm unable to build
cocoa emacs at all..)

--

@ 2008-01-21  4:15     ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-01-21  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry: s/not that before/not like before/

--

@ 2008-01-22 20:43     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-01-22 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:04:31 +0900 William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> wrote:

WX> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>>> In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin9.1.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
>>
>> As you surely know, this is not supported. You're on your own.

WX> Okay... i was just expecting that someone might at least shed some light
WX> on how to debug that.

You can find what's using a key with `C-h k'; for me C-M-p is bound to
backward-list which is the default.  What does it say for you?

In general, if you report a bug, make sure you answer these three
questions:

What have you tried?
What were you expecting?
What is actually happening?

WX> btw, it seems now carbon emacs is working much better than before ! I
WX> can type as fast as can, not that before, when if you type too fast, you
WX> have to wait some sec before emacs displays all characters on the
WX> screen.

WX> This is a fresh checkout and built on 20080120. As I have not followed
WX> the cvs for quite nearly a month, I'm not quite sure which change should
WX> take this credits.  Anyway, good news it is ! (since I'm unable to build
WX> cocoa emacs at all..)

There is no Cocoa Emacs.  Use Emacs.App for a Cocoa port, it's not
exactly in sync with CVS but it's OK and supported.  There are others,
but no "Cocoa Emacs" AFAIK.  I'm pretty sure that the Carbon port will
remain unsupported, regardless of its performance, because there's no
maintainer and (IIRC) it was decided to wait until after the next Emacs
release to decide what to do with MacOS X support.

Ted

* Re: 23.0.50; C-M-p is missing (carbon emacs)
@ 2008-01-23  6:23       ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-01-23  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> You can find what's using a key with `C-h k'; for me C-M-p is bound to
> backward-list which is the default.  What does it say for you?

Nothing.

I found the cause. It's out of Emacs. Some system wide keymapping
doesn't generate C-M-p key at all...

> There is no Cocoa Emacs.  Use Emacs.App for a Cocoa port, it's not

We actually referred to the same thing.

The binary result of Cocoa port is also Emacs.app. So calling the
nextstep/cocoa port Emacs.app is rather confusing. Maybe a better naming
is Nextstep Emacs, or Cocoa Emacs(not quite appropriate, but help people
understand, i'd say).

> exactly in sync with CVS but it's OK and supported.

If you followed their mailing lists, you must know that I had reported
my failing attempts of either running the pre-compiled binary or
building from sources. And witnessed a similar failing attempt days
ago. No solutions yet.

[...]

> I'm pretty sure that the Carbon port will
> remain unsupported, regardless of its performance, because there's no
> maintainer and (IIRC) it was decided to wait until after the next Emacs
> release to decide what to do with MacOS X support.

Unsupported though, it's still runable & pretty stable, unlike Nextstep
Emacs.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org