* EDE Automake: header files missing from distribution
@ 2009-10-28 15:07 Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2009-10-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The next CEDET/EDE problem:
I have a simple example project with two targets and three files:

(ede-proj-project "EDE-Automake-Test"
  :name "EDE-Automake-Test"
  :file "Project.ede"
  :targets (list
   (ede-proj-target-makefile-program "hello"
    :name "hello"
    :path ""
    :source '("hello.c")
    :configuration-variables 'nil
    :ldlibs '("talk")
    )
   (ede-proj-target-makefile-shared-object "talk"
    :name "talk"
    :path ""
    :source '("talk.c")
    :auxsource '("talk.h")
    )
   )
  :makefile-type 'Makefile.am
  )

now when I ede-make-dist the header file talk.h is missing from the
archive.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
technology and you don't understand your problems.  (Bruce Schneier)

* Re: EDE Automake: header files missing from distribution
@ 2009-10-28 18:51 ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2009-10-28 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> wrote:
[...]
> now when I ede-make-dist the header file talk.h is missing from the
> archive.

FWIW, the same problem applies to pure ede make projects.

sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Hauptfunktion einer GUI ist es IMHO, die dadurch verlorene Zeit durch

* Re: EDE Automake: header files missing from distribution
@ 2009-10-30 13:16   ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2009-10-30 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> wrote:

> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> now when I ede-make-dist the header file talk.h is missing from the
>> archive.
>
> FWIW, the same problem applies to pure ede make projects.

It seems that ede leaks the ability to make an important
differentiation: header files which are "private" to the source and
header files describing an public api, which are meant to be installed
in an system include directory.

Automake knows these types as include_HEADERS and noinst_HEADERS
variables.  The manual recommends to put headers not meant for
installation in an appropriate _SOURCE variable though.

So, besides `Source Files' and `Auxiliary Source Files' we need
something like `Public Header Files'.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

* Re: EDE Automake: header files missing from distribution
@ 2009-10-30 13:40     ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2009-10-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> wrote:
> It seems that ede leaks the ability to make an important
> differentiation: header files which are "private" to the source and
> header files describing an public api, which are meant to be installed
> in an system include directory.

Talking about missing features:
One great advantage of many modern OS's is versionized[0] shared
libraries.  So we should be able to assign individual versions to shared
objects.  For obvious reasons I would suggest using  Libtool's
versioning scheme.

cheers
sascha

[0] is this an real word?  I think you all know what I'm talking about
    anyways...
--
Sascha Wilde : VI is to EMACS as masturbation is to making love:
             : effective and always available but probably not your