[I'm moving this discussion from Bug #23288 to Emacs-Devel, to widen participation] >>>>> Glenn Morris writes: > Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Sorry, I don't see the list of blocking bugs being treated seriously. If we >> did treat it seriously, we wouldn't have had "deep freeze" on emacs-25, and >> wouldn't be planning the release in less than a month. > Indeed. Though I have noticed some people looking at those issues recently > (thanks!). > I'd hope those in charge would be encouraging people to work on those > issues, but I haven't noticed it happening. I've already asked for everyone to focus on that list until release. Did you not see that? I've mentioned it in a few places. > Previous Emacs releases weren't time-based, but were made when they were > ready. I only introduced a date to focus our decision making around 25.1, and since this is what I'm used to doing to ship software. HOWEVER, if having a date is stressful or unpleasant for those doing the work, we can get rid of it. I'm not doing this to put undue pressure on anyone. Personally, I don't mind if Emacs 25 takes another year to happen, since the pretests are working well and 24.5 is fully capable. I want to know what works best for those doing the actual release work. Do you want a timeframe? Do you want a release-blocking list? If you'd prefer to do this in an unstructured way -- if that's what will improve our bug closure rate and our code quality -- then by all means. But I want to hear that from the core developers first, as it also introduces a bit of chaos (for example, I'd have no real metric by which to ask people to revert a change they just made on a release branch, other than gut feeling). -- John Wiegley GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F http://newartisans.com 60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2