* a bug in erc manual
@ 2007-05-25 23:34 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-25 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: erc-discuss

(info "(erc)Modules")

,----
| `completion'
|      Complete nicknames and commands (old).  This is the old module--you
|      might prefer the "completion" module instead.
`----

Does this sentence make sense?

Regards,

* Re: a bug in erc manual
@ 2007-05-26  1:04 ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2007-05-26  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: erc-discuss

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> (info "(erc)Modules")
>
> ,----
> | `completion'
> |      Complete nicknames and commands (old).  This is the old module--you
> |      might prefer the "completion" module instead.
> `----
>
> Does this sentence make sense?

It makes sense, but perhaps it is terse.  Does the following sound
better?

  This is the old module.  You might prefer to use the "completion"
  module instead.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: a bug in erc manual
@ 2007-05-26  1:22   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-26  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: erc-discuss

Dear Michael,

----- Michael Olson (2007-05-26) wrote:-----

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> (info "(erc)Modules")
>>
>> ,----
>> | `completion'
>> |      Complete nicknames and commands (old).  This is the old module--you
>> |      might prefer the "completion" module instead.
>> `----
>>
>> Does this sentence make sense?
>
> It makes sense, but perhaps it is terse.  Does the following sound
> better?
>
>   This is the old module.  You might prefer to use the "completion"
>   module instead.

Does the OLD module has the same name as the NEW one?

Should the second "completion" be "pcomplete"?

regards,

* Re: a bug in erc manual
@ 2007-05-26  1:24   ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2007-05-26  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> (info "(erc)Modules")
>>
>> ,----
>> | `completion'
>> |      Complete nicknames and commands (old).  This is the old module--you
>> |      might prefer the "completion" module instead.
>> `----
>>
>> Does this sentence make sense?
>
> It makes sense, but perhaps it is terse.  Does the following sound
> better?
>
>   This is the old module.  You might prefer to use the "completion"
>   module instead.

But it's describing the "completion" module.  Perhaps you mean that
the "pcomplete" module is preferable.

Jay

* Re: a bug in erc manual
@ 2007-05-26  1:25   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-05-26  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Olson; +Cc: erc-discuss, emacs-devel

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
>> | `completion'
>> |      Complete nicknames and commands (old).  This is the old module--you
>> |      might prefer the "completion" module instead.
> It makes sense, but perhaps it is terse.  Does the following sound
> better?
>
>   This is the old module.  You might prefer to use the "completion"
>   module instead.

The old text seems a bit better actually, but I think the problem being
pointed out is the name of the alternative being suggested
("completion") -- it seems to be the same module!

Is it supposed to say `you might prefer the "pcomplete" module instead',
perhaps?  [Sorry I don't have much knowledge of ERC.]

-Miles

--
=====
(^o^;