Hi, I'm a bit late to the icomplete-vertical party, but please let me show you my approach at supporting "\n" in 'icomplete-separator'. The main idea is to treat the 'icomplete-prospects-height' variable value as the amount of completions we want to see if there is "\n" in the 'icomplete-separator'. Please see attached patch. Also see attached screenshot of minibuffer-only frame after: emacs -Q --eval "(setq default-frame-alist '((minibuffer . nil)))" M-x icomplete-mode (setq icomplete-prospects-height 5) (setq icomplete-hide-common-prefix nil) (setq icomplete-separator "\n ") (setq resize-mini-frames t) M-x icomp If that approach was already discussed, please let me know. WDYT? Thanks!