* 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-02  9:25 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-02  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I have the following settings:
(xterm-mouse-mode t)
(mouse-wheel-mode t)
(menu-bar-mode -1)

When I start the initial frame in xterm, those modes will take effect
and work as expected.

Now open another frame using emacsclient to connect to the server. You
can find that those settings are not effective any more.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/local/packages/emacs/share/emacs/23.0.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.14, multi-tty)
 of 2007-09-01 on Fedora
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local/packages/emacs' '--with-kerberos5' '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-xft' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-x-toolkit=yes''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  erc-page-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-smiley-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-scrolltobottom-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  minibuffer-indicate-depth-mode: t
  partial-completion-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B = q n p C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-l C-n ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g
ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC
g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC g ESC O A
RET RET n SPC n n n q C-l C-n C-n ESC g ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC g ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B l g n RET 2 RET ESC O B
RET SPC q g z C-x b RET DEL DEL C-c g w R l ESC [ ESC
[ ESC [ C-h k ESC [ Z C-x 1 C-p RET R q ESC x r e p
o r TAB b TAB RET

Recent messages:
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done
Saving /home/leo/GNUS/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/leo/GNUS/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/leo/GNUS/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/leo/GNUS/.newsrc.eld...done
call-interactively: Text is read-only [2 times]
w3m-zoom-out-image: Can't display images in this environment [3 times]
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.
call-interactively: End of buffer [4 times]

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-02 15:16 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-02 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

  > Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
  > usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

  > Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
  > and the precise symptoms of the bug:
  >
  > I have the following settings:
  > (xterm-mouse-mode t)

This has been discussed at length on emacs-devel some time ago, AFAIR
there was no agreement on how to fix it. The fix should not be hard
once a decision is made what to do. You may want to look for that
discussion an reopen it.

  > (mouse-wheel-mode t)

Don't know about this one.

  > (menu-bar-mode -1)

This has changed after the multi-tty merge, I think you need instead
to set window-system-default-frame-alist. But I am not completely sure
about that.

@ 2007-09-03  3:04   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-03  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, sdl.web

      > (menu-bar-mode -1)

    This has changed after the multi-tty merge, I think you need instead
    to set window-system-default-frame-alist. But I am not completely sure
    about that.

menu-bar-mode is documented to affect all frames including
future frames.  Unless there is a specific reason to change it,
it should continue to do that.

Would someone please fix it to do so?

Likewise, mouse-wheel-mode should be global.

xterm-mouse-mode seems to have to be per-terminal,
because it only makes sense for some terminals.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-03  7:59     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-03  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-03 04:04 +0100, Richard Stallman wrote:
> xterm-mouse-mode seems to have to be per-terminal,
> because it only makes sense for some terminals.

Global for all tty terminals is desirable.

--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

      Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-03 17:25 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

  > Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
  > usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

  > Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
  > and the precise symptoms of the bug:
  >
  > I have the following settings:
  > (xterm-mouse-mode t)
  > (mouse-wheel-mode t)
  > (menu-bar-mode -1)
  >
  > When I start the initial frame in xterm, those modes will take effect
  > and work as expected.
  >
  > Now open another frame using emacsclient to connect to the server. You
  > can find that those settings are not effective any more.

Can you please describe your problem with menu-bar-mode, starting from
emacs -Q?
It seems to work just fine for me.

Can you also describe your problem with mouse-wheel-mode, starting
from emacs -Q?

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-03 17:36   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-03 18:25 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Can you please describe your problem with menu-bar-mode, starting from
> emacs -Q?
> It seems to work just fine for me.

Sorry. It is also working fine here.

> Can you also describe your problem with mouse-wheel-mode, starting
> from emacs -Q?

This seems also fine as long as xterm-mouse-mode is enabled.

--

@ 2007-09-03 18:30     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-03 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

  > On 2007-09-03 18:25 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > Can you please describe your problem with menu-bar-mode, starting from
  > > emacs -Q?
  > > It seems to work just fine for me.
  >
  > Sorry. It is also working fine here.
  >

  > > Can you also describe your problem with mouse-wheel-mode, starting
  > > from emacs -Q?
  >
  > This seems also fine as long as xterm-mouse-mode is enabled.

Not sure what are you saying, is there any problem with the behavior?
Is it different than before the multi-tty merge?

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-03 19:20       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-03 19:30 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Not sure what are you saying, is there any problem with the behavior?
> Is it different than before the multi-tty merge?

No for mouse-wheel-mode and menu-bar-mode.

Yes for xterm-mouse-mode. I can't activate xterm-mouse-mode in my .emacs
any more.

--

@ 2007-09-03 19:40     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-03 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, sdl.web

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

  >       > (menu-bar-mode -1)
  >
  >     This has changed after the multi-tty merge, I think you need instead
  >     to set window-system-default-frame-alist. But I am not completely sure
  >     about that.
  >
  > menu-bar-mode is documented to affect all frames including
  > future frames.  Unless there is a specific reason to change it,
  > it should continue to do that.
  >
  > Would someone please fix it to do so?
  >
  > Likewise, mouse-wheel-mode should be global.

The bug report was incorrect for mouse-wheel-mode and menu-bar-mode,
they work as before the multi-tty merge. I removed the entries from
FOR-RELEASE.

@ 2007-09-03 21:15       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-03 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

>> xterm-mouse-mode seems to have to be per-terminal,
>> because it only makes sense for some terminals.
> Global for all tty terminals is desirable.

Probably not.  But we could/should probably make it (or a new command on
top of it) work on all ttys that are in xterms.  I.e. "global" but only
where it makes sense.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-03 21:27         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-03 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-03 22:15 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Probably not.  But we could/should probably make it (or a new command on
> top of it) work on all ttys that are in xterms.  I.e. "global" but only
> where it makes sense.

I'd love this feature.

--

@ 2007-09-03 21:34         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-03 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Leo, emacs-devel

>>> xterm-mouse-mode seems to have to be per-terminal,
>>> because it only makes sense for some terminals.
>> Global for all tty terminals is desirable.
>
> Probably not.  But we could/should probably make it (or a new
> command on top of it) work on all ttys that are in xterms.
> I.e. "global" but only where it makes sense.

I seem to remember some discussion of code that could figure out
whether or not a terminal supported the necessary sequences.  Has this
code not made it into the respective file?  If it had, most of the
code fir this should be in place already.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-04  0:57     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

    > Can you also describe your problem with mouse-wheel-mode, starting
    > from emacs -Q?

    This seems also fine as long as xterm-mouse-mode is enabled.

So what problem actually remains?  Is it just that xterm-mouse-mode
doesn't apply to all the xterms used in the session?

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-04  7:14       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-04  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-04 01:57 +0100, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > Can you also describe your problem with mouse-wheel-mode, starting
>     > from emacs -Q?
>
>     This seems also fine as long as xterm-mouse-mode is enabled.
>
> So what problem actually remains?  Is it just that xterm-mouse-mode
> doesn't apply to all the xterms used in the session?

When I use emacsclient -t to open a new tty frame, `xterm-mouse-mode' is
't' but it is actually not enabled. I need to do `M-x xterm-mouse-mode'
TWICE if I want to use xterm-mouse-mode.

--

@ 2007-09-04 16:45         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

    Yes for xterm-mouse-mode. I can't activate xterm-mouse-mode in my .emacs
    any more.

Would someone please fix this, then ack?

It would be nice to make xterm-mouse-mode global, so that when
enabled, it takes effect on any suitable terminals that you open.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel, monnier, sdl.web

    I seem to remember some discussion of code that could figure out
    whether or not a terminal supported the necessary sequences.

For this purpose, it is enough to check whether a tty has type xterm.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-04 22:58         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

    When I use emacsclient -t to open a new tty frame, `xterm-mouse-mode' is
    't' but it is actually not enabled. I need to do `M-x xterm-mouse-mode'
    TWICE if I want to use xterm-mouse-mode.

I can see in the source why that is so.  Would someone please fix it?

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-12  8:47         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

[I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]

@ 2007-09-12 17:24           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Leo, emacs-devel

> [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]
>     Yes for xterm-mouse-mode. I can't activate xterm-mouse-mode in my .emacs
>     any more.

> Would someone please fix this, then ack?

> It would be nice to make xterm-mouse-mode global, so that when
> enabled, it takes effect on any suitable terminals that you open.

A good way to do it would be to hook into terminal-init-xterm.
It is a very similar feature to the modifyOtherKeys one, after all.

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-13 16:29             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-13 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, sdl.web, emacs-devel

    > It would be nice to make xterm-mouse-mode global, so that when
    > enabled, it takes effect on any suitable terminals that you open.

    A good way to do it would be to hook into terminal-init-xterm.
    It is a very similar feature to the modifyOtherKeys one, after all.

Yes.

What we need is for someone to do it.
Would someone please do this, then ack?

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-15  0:36           ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-15  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Leo, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

  >     When I use emacsclient -t to open a new tty frame, `xterm-mouse-mode' is
  >     't' but it is actually not enabled. I need to do `M-x xterm-mouse-mode'
  >     TWICE if I want to use xterm-mouse-mode.
  >
  > I can see in the source why that is so.  Would someone please fix it?

Done. But I've never used this stuff, so somebody needs to make sure
that the docs are up to date too.

Leo, given that you use this mode, do you want to give it a shot?

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-15  7:21             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-15  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-15 01:36 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   >     When I use emacsclient -t to open a new tty frame, `xterm-mouse-mode' is
>   >     't' but it is actually not enabled. I need to do `M-x xterm-mouse-mode'
>   >     TWICE if I want to use xterm-mouse-mode.
>   >
>   > I can see in the source why that is so.  Would someone please fix it?
>
> Done. But I've never used this stuff, so somebody needs to make sure
> that the docs are up to date too.
>
> Leo, given that you use this mode, do you want to give it a shot?

Indeed, fixed! Many thanks.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

=>             "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
=>           http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html

* Re: 23.0.50; Some modes are not enabled in subsequent frames
@ 2007-09-16 21:33             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-16 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rms, emacs-devel

On 2007-09-15 01:36 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   >     When I use emacsclient -t to open a new tty frame, `xterm-mouse-mode' is
>   >     't' but it is actually not enabled. I need to do `M-x xterm-mouse-mode'
>   >     TWICE if I want to use xterm-mouse-mode.
>   >
>   > I can see in the source why that is so.  Would someone please fix it?
>
> Done. But I've never used this stuff, so somebody needs to make sure
> that the docs are up to date too.
>
> Leo, given that you use this mode, do you want to give it a shot?

This change causes crash. See:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/79047

HTH,
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=