* Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-26 21:18 Chip Coldwell
From: Chip Coldwell @ 2007-01-26 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is anybody concerned that lisp/play/tetris.el might be a trademark
infringement?

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-27  4:19 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-01-27  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chip Coldwell; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Is anybody concerned that lisp/play/tetris.el might be a trademark
    infringement?

File names and function names usually do not raise a trademark issue.
So there is no need to worry about this.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-27 13:03   ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2007-01-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Chip Coldwell, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Is anybody concerned that lisp/play/tetris.el might be a trademark
>     infringement?
>
> File names and function names usually do not raise a trademark issue.
> So there is no need to worry about this.

But what about the game itself?  It's not just the name of the file
and functions, but the Tetris game itself is "subject to the
registered copyrights of Tetris Holding LLC" (according to
http://www.tetris.com/).

Incidentally, I just tried running M-x tetris RET.  After playing 2
games, a buffer appeared called 'tetris-scores' showing 3 scores:

03037   Sat Jan 27 13:48:27 2007       <x@SERVER>
03031   Sat Jan 27 13:48:27 2007        <x@SERVER>
00349   Sat Jan 27 13:34:52 2007         <x@SERVER>

The top 2 scores appear to be from the same game.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-27 13:39     ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2007-01-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Moore; +Cc: coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

   Incidentally, I just tried running M-x tetris RET.  After playing 2
   games, a buffer appeared called 'tetris-scores' showing 3 scores:

   03037   Sat Jan 27 13:48:27 2007       <x@SERVER>
   03031   Sat Jan 27 13:48:27 2007        <x@SERVER>
   00349   Sat Jan 27 13:34:52 2007         <x@SERVER>

   The top 2 scores appear to be from the same game.

I just tried the same (Emacs CVS 2007-01-26) and got this in my
tetris-scores buffer after one game:

63 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:01 2007
-614138055 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:01 2007

and if one plays tetris a couple more times:

1750381103 1113788831 1116002824 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:15 2007
1651340622 860783243 614547649 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:01 2007
1104386408 689079491 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:27 2007
409625960 1484573134 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:24 2007
302668443 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:30 2007
69 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:30 2007
-1187299218 590383859 1116002819 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:24 2007
-1346613921 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:27 2007
-1663317747 1828060044 614138055 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:01 2007
-1806042514 2146540447 994984561 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:15 2007

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-27 14:58 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-01-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-01-26, Chip Coldwell said:

> Is anybody concerned that lisp/play/tetris.el might be a trademark
> infringement?
>
> Chip

Some distributions have removed tetris.el due to this concern.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-27 15:10     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-01-27 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Moore; +Cc: Chip Coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

Chris Moore wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     Is anybody concerned that lisp/play/tetris.el might be a trademark
>>     infringement?
>>
>> File names and function names usually do not raise a trademark issue.
>> So there is no need to worry about this.
>
> But what about the game itself?  It's not just the name of the file
> and functions, but the Tetris game itself is "subject to the
> registered copyrights of Tetris Holding LLC" (according to
> http://www.tetris.com/).

I think there are some useful notes about this on

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris#History

See the end of the History section. It seems like you can not copyright
a game, but I do not understand the details there.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-27 22:37       ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2007-01-27 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

On 1/27/07, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:

> 63 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:01 2007
> -614138055 ams Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org>  Sat Jan 27 14:33:01 2007

I just managed to get a NUL character in my highscore table:

0039^@	Sat Jan 27 23:20:41 2007	 <chris@TRPASLIK>
00388	Sat Jan 27 23:20:41 2007	 <chris@TRPASLIK>
00170	Sat Jan 27 22:33:48 2007	 <chris@TRPASLIK>
00165	Sat Jan 27 22:33:43 2007	 <chris@TRPASLIK>
00096	Sat Jan 27 22:31:38 2007	 <chris@TRPASLIK>
00090	Sat Jan 27 22:30:35 2007	 <chris@TRPASLIK>

and an error message:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  aref(nil 0)
  (put-text-property (1- (point)) (point) (quote face) (aref gamegrid-face-
  (if (eq gamegrid-display-mode (quote glyph)) (add-text-properties (1- ...
  gamegrid-set-face(0)
  (let ((buffer-read-only nil)) (goto-char (gamegrid-cell-offset x y)) (del
  (save-excursion (let (...) (goto-char ...) (delete-char 1) (insert-char c
  gamegrid-set-cell(3 1 0)
  (if (/= c tetris-blank) (gamegrid-set-cell px py tetris-blank))
  (let ((c ...) (px ...) (py ...)) (if (/= c tetris-blank) (gamegrid-set-ce
  (while (<= x --cl-var--) (let (... ... ...) (if ... ...)) (setq x (+ x 1)
  (let* ((x 0) (--cl-var-- ...)) (while (<= x --cl-var--) (let ... ...) (se
  (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let* (... ...) (while ... ... ...) nil))
  (cl-block-wrapper (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let* ... ... nil)))
  (block nil (let* (... ...) (while ... ... ...) nil))
  (loop for x from 0 to (1- (tetris-shape-width)) do (let (... ... ...) (if
  (while (<= y --cl-var--) (loop for x from 0 to (1- ...) do (let ... ...))
  (let* ((y 0) (--cl-var-- ...)) (while (<= y --cl-var--) (loop for x from
  (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let* (... ...) (while ... ... ...) nil))
  (cl-block-wrapper (catch (quote --cl-block-nil--) (let* ... ... nil)))
  (block nil (let* (... ...) (while ... ... ...) nil))
  (loop for y from 0 to (1- (tetris-shape-height)) do (loop for x from 0 to
  tetris-erase-shape()
  (let ((hit nil)) (tetris-erase-shape) (while (not hit) (setq tetris-pos-y
  tetris-move-bottom()
  call-interactively(tetris-move-bottom)

This happened after 2 scores had already been added into the highscore
table for that game.  I'm wondering if the timer isn't being stopped
properly and/or quickly enough.  The score is being written using a
(format "%05d ...") call, so that NUL must have been written over the
score at a later point.

The value of buffer-file-name in the above backtrace is "c:/Documents
and Settings/chris/Local Settings/Temp/tetris-scores" so it looks like
the code is trying to manupulate the high score table as if it was a
tetris board.

I didn't mention it before, so:

In GNU Emacs 22.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-01-21 on LENNART-69DE564
X server distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/g/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: CSY
  locale-coding-system: cp1250
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-28  7:41     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-01-28  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Moore; +Cc: coldwell, emacs-devel

    But what about the game itself?  It's not just the name of the file
    and functions, but the Tetris game itself is "subject to the
    registered copyrights of Tetris Holding LLC" (according to
    http://www.tetris.com/).

My understanding is that game rules as such are not copyrightable.

    Incidentally, I just tried running M-x tetris RET.  After playing 2
    games, a buffer appeared called 'tetris-scores' showing 3 scores:

    03037   Sat Jan 27 13:48:27 2007       <x@SERVER>
    03031   Sat Jan 27 13:48:27 2007        <x@SERVER>
    00349   Sat Jan 27 13:34:52 2007         <x@SERVER>

Can you debug this?

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-28 19:54       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-01-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: Chris Moore, coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    Incidentally, I just tried running M-x tetris RET.  After playing 2
>    games, a buffer appeared called 'tetris-scores' showing 3 scores:

I've checked in a fix.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-28 20:23         ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2007-01-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: dooglus, coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

   >    Incidentally, I just tried running M-x tetris RET.  After
   >    playing 2 games, a buffer appeared called 'tetris-scores'
   >    showing 3 scores:

   I've checked in a fix.

Thanks.  It only works partially though.  If I have a empty
tetris-scores buffer, then it works fine the first time.  But on
subsequent runs, it continues to inser bogus values.  Also, on the
first run atleast, if you hit space in *Tetris* directly (just hold
keep pressing space after a new game has started until you lose) after
the initial score has been written to tetris-scores, then it will
insert a bogus value.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-28 21:34           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-01-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: dooglus, coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    >    Incidentally, I just tried running M-x tetris RET.  After
>    >    playing 2 games, a buffer appeared called 'tetris-scores'
>    >    showing 3 scores:
>
>    I've checked in a fix.
>
> Thanks.  It only works partially though.  If I have a empty
> tetris-scores buffer, then it works fine the first time.  But on
> subsequent runs, it continues to inser bogus values.  Also, on the
> first run atleast, if you hit space in *Tetris* directly (just hold
> keep pressing space after a new game has started until you lose) after
> the initial score has been written to tetris-scores, then it will
> insert a bogus value.

I can't reproduce this.  Did you get the updates to both tetris.el and
gamegrid.el?

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-28 22:41             ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2007-01-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: dooglus, coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

   > Thanks.  It only works partially though.  If I have a empty
   > tetris-scores buffer, then it works fine the first time.  But on
   > subsequent runs, it continues to inser bogus values.  Also, on
   > the first run atleast, if you hit space in *Tetris* directly
   > (just hold keep pressing space after a new game has started until
   > you lose) after the initial score has been written to
   > tetris-scores, then it will insert a bogus value.

   I can't reproduce this.  Did you get the updates to both tetris.el
   and gamegrid.el?

Yeah, I just double checked (even did `make bootstrap').  Though the
later behaviour of just holding space until you lose seems to have
mysteriously vanished.  But subsequent games stil get munged scores.

* Re: Tetris trademark
@ 2007-01-29  0:54               ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2007-01-29  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: Chong Yidong, coldwell, rms, emacs-devel

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    > Thanks.  It only works partially though.  If I have a empty
>    > tetris-scores buffer, then it works fine the first time.  But on
>    > subsequent runs, it continues to inser bogus values.  Also, on
>    > the first run atleast, if you hit space in *Tetris* directly
>    > (just hold keep pressing space after a new game has started until
>    > you lose) after the initial score has been written to
>    > tetris-scores, then it will insert a bogus value.
>
>    I can't reproduce this.  Did you get the updates to both tetris.el
>    and gamegrid.el?
>
> Yeah, I just double checked (even did `make bootstrap').  Though the
> later behaviour of just holding space until you lose seems to have
> mysteriously vanished.  But subsequent games stil get munged scores.

It doesn't fix the bug for me either.

I rebuilt from CVS, which brought in both your changed files, deleted
the old highscore file and played a single game.

At the end of the game I saw a ^@ where a zero should be, and an error
about 'Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil' in the message area:

  http://dooglus.rincevent.net/random/2007-01-29--01-50-11.png

I can get a backtrace if you like, but I expect it's the same as the
last one I posted.

Chris.

* Re: Font-lock decides function call is function declaration in C+ +
@ 2007-02-02 23:57                 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-02-02 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marshall Simon; +Cc: emacs-devel

Does this bug still exist with latest CVS?  If so, please provide a
simple test case (I couldn't find one in your previous messages).