* Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
       [not found] <m2y702mdfw.fsf@getconnected.com>
@ 2008-11-02 15:40 ` Carsten Bormann
       [not found] ` <AE3F6761-560A-4113-A84F-BB2D5781BCCD@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Bormann @ 2008-11-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Emacs App Dev, Carsten Bormann, Emacs Development

On Nov 02 2008, at 15:04, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> at random times it dies altogether

One problem that needs to be fixed is that fatal_error_signal/
shut_down_emacs/ns_term_shutdown essentially hides the bugs -- when
Emacs runs into an abort(), this "cleans up" and makes sure there is
no trace of the bug anywhere.  So we never find out what exactly hit
Emacs.  I'd rather see a nice OSX crash report.

(Yes, I'm seeing random crashes, too, and an absolutely reproducible
one that Adrian can't reproduce: Click on "Options" in the menu bar
and Emacs is gone.  There must be something about my environment as
well.)

Gruesse, Carsten

* Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
@ 2008-11-02 17:04   ` Adam M. Goldstein
From: Adam M. Goldstein @ 2008-11-02 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Bormann; +Cc: Emacs App Dev, Ted Zlatanov, Emacs Development

On Nov 2, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> On Nov 02 2008, at 15:04, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

<-- snip -->

> (Yes, I'm seeing random crashes, too, and an absolutely reproducible
> one that Adrian can't reproduce: Click on "Options" in the menu bar
> and Emacs is gone.  There must be something about my environment as
> well.)

"Options" doesn't cause a problem for me. Would it be useful to report
back with some information about my setup to possibly eliminate
sources of the problem?

I am using a copy of CVS of a few days ago.

-Adam

------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
--
agoldstein@iona.edu
a.m.goldstein@mac.com

* Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
@ 2008-11-03 12:06   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-03 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs App Dev, Emacs Development

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:40:34 +0100 Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:

CB> One problem that needs to be fixed is that fatal_error_signal/
CB> shut_down_emacs/ns_term_shutdown essentially hides the bugs -- when
CB> Emacs runs into an abort(), this "cleans up" and makes sure there is
CB> no trace of the bug anywhere.  So we never find out what exactly hit
CB> Emacs.  I'd rather see a nice OSX crash report.

Agreed.  With a crash report we'd have something useful to report,
otherwise we're just complaining.

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:13:21 +0100 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

PD> Am 02.11.2008 um 16:40 schrieb Carsten Bormann:

>> Click on "Options" in the menu bar and Emacs is gone.

PD> The yesterday compiled version on PPC and Tiger behaves better. It
PD> seems only to have problems when invoked with arguments from the
PD> command line and with key bindings. And yes: when return to Emacs.app
PD> from another application and click into one window, the cursor stays
PD> in the other window. No other Cocoa application behaves like Emacs.app!

I'm happy to put work into finding the bugs if I knew how.  The Intel
version I compiled from CVS doesn't have the problem you report with key
bindings and focus.

Ted

* Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
@ 2008-11-03 13:48     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Emacs App Dev, Emacs Development

Am 03.11.2008 um 13:06 schrieb Ted Zlatanov:

> The Intel
> version I compiled from CVS doesn't have the problem you report
> with key
> bindings and focus.

With two windows in one frame, coming from another Mac OS X
application and you click into that window that does not have the
cursor, this window gains the cursor?

--
Greetings

   Pete

One-Shot Case Study, n.:
	The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from
	which it is concluded all clovers possess four leaves
	and are sometimes green.

* Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
@ 2008-11-04  9:52       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-04  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Emacs App Dev, Emacs Development

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:48:15 +0100 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

PD> Am 03.11.2008 um 13:06 schrieb Ted Zlatanov:

>> The Intel version I compiled from CVS doesn't have the problem you
>> report with key bindings and focus.

PD> With two windows in one frame, coming from another Mac OS X
PD> application and you click into that window that does not have the
PD> cursor, this window gains the cursor?

Sorry, I misunderstood your example.  I can confirm it happens.

Ted

* Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
       [not found]     ` <06C38EB0-6085-4F17-8205-2777C5B8AA48@gmail.com>
@ 2008-11-26 21:52       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-26 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: Emacs App Dev, Emacs Development

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:21:26 -0500 Adrian Robert <adrian.b.robert@gmail.com> wrote:

AR> Does it happen when running emacs-23 on OS X under X11?  When you say
AR> "Ubuntu", do you mean Emacs.app under GNUstep there, or X11macs?

>> X11.

AR> OK.  In these cases, though it's a pain, it's helpful to test on X11
AR> on OS X, or GNUstep on Linux, to narrow down if it's an OS-related or
AR> Cocoa-related bug.

I've been using Gnus in the X11 Emacs build on Mac OS X for several
weeks now and have not experienced any epa-file GPG errors.  They only
happen with the Emacs.app Cocoa build from Emacs CVS.  You can reproduce
them easily:

1) install GPG in your path
2) load epa-file.el
3) C-x C-f /tmp/secret.gpg
4) C-x C-s (to save it); use symmetric encryption
5) kill the buffer
6) C-x C-f /tmp/secret.gpg; enter your passphrase again

Step (6) works fairly randomly, maybe 3-4 out of 10 times and usually
interleaving success with failure.  There's no obvious cause for the
error.

The X11 build has not crashed for me all this time, so I'm not eager to
use Emacs.app on Mac OS X and lose work randomly.  How can I help catch
these crashes so we can log and understand them?  Do we need other Cocoa
developers (which I am not)?

Thanks
Ted