From: Roman Rudakov <rrudakov@fastmail.com>
To: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
Cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: tree-sitter and language support
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 11:41:47 +0100	[thread overview]

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Nov 24, 2022, at 9:20 PM, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> I installed from elpa/melpa:
>>
>> ls -1 -d tree-sitter-*
>> tree-sitter-20220212.1632/
>> tree-sitter-langs-20221122.645/
>> 21:18:06 elpa $
>>
>> but emacs compiled from latest Git Head still produces the
>> completely
>> unhelpful message
>> tree-support for language <x> is unavailable if I invoke c-ts-mode
>> or
>> c++-ts-mode
>>
>> A note in the News file detailing what bits one needs to install
>> might
>> be the shoes we need to help us walk the final mile on this long
>> road
>> to tree-sitter integration.
>
> We are just starting to work on tree-sitter’s user-facing
> documentation, including the (emacs) manual and NEWS file. I’ll
> definitely improve the error message. In the meantime, find files
> that
> looks like libtree-sitter-xxx.so and put them under
> ~/.emacs.d/tree-sitter (or a standard library location like
> /usr/local/lib), and Emacs should be able to find them.
>
> Yuan

Hi Yuan!

I have a question. Are these paths hardcoded? I use MacOS, I've built
a grammar for java using custom homebrew formula, it produces the file
/opt/homebrew/lib/libtree-sitter-java.dylib, but when I open any java
source file and try to activate java-ts-mode, I'm getting the error:

Warning (treesit): Cannot activate tree-sitter, because language
definition for java is unavailable (not-found):
(libtree-sitter-java.so libtree-sitter-java.dylib) No such file or
directory

I can fix it by adding /opt/homebrew/lib to treesit-extra-load-path,
but I'm wondering how to install grammar properly to avoid setting
this variable.
--
Best regards, Roman