Bill Wohler writes: > Thanks very much timotheus. I haven't yet heard of EPG and will make a > note to read up on it. I am extremely pleased that we'll be able to > provide S/MIME support in the future. In the meantime, would you be > kind enough to report your request and code to SourceForge so that we > can track it? You're welcome. Added to sourceforge. FYI, MH-E of the Emacs CVS head already supports S/MIME through the `smime.el' library that uses openssl. Remember that MH-E uses Gnus MML to provide the security. You just change the default MML method to "smime" instead of "pgpmime". However, multiple identity support is lacking, and `smime.el' has some security, feature, and ease-of-use concerns too. This is not the only feature I've added to MH-E / MM locally for my own personal use. Some of these include: - proper LDAP email lookup and expansion via EUDC - scale-down of large inline images to fit current buffer window size; works with Unicode and HTML buffers too! - key strokes to switch between smime/pgpmime - identity handler for auto signing, different method for each - inherit lpr command from `lpr.el' - auto-view of PDF, DOC, etc. inline If you or users want to poke around: http://tstotts.net/pubvc.co/elisp-snippets/ http://tstotts.net/pubvc.co/elisp-snippets/set-mh-e.el > Richard Stallman writes: > >> Please do not make MH-E use EPG until EPG is _actually installed_ in >> Emacs. > > There is certainly no harm in making it aware of EPG, if it is > available. MH-E has quite a bit of precedent of being able to handle > packages if they are installed, but otherwise ignore them. I'm > assuming furthermore that EPG is free and there won't be any problem > referring to it in MH-E. Yes? However, I agree that MH-E should not > use send EPG by default until it is installed in Emacs. > >> "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." > > ;-). Playing your gamelan tonight, Richard? I concur with Stallman's concern. The Gnus I referred to is Gnus 5.11 (cvs), which now appears to be named No Gnus, current snapshot is version 0.6. (My code requires the head CVS - 0.7.) Perhaps you can call this alpha software. You'll note the comments in my example work around a No Gnus "bug" present in this functionality. Earlier I read a thread between some combination of EasyPG, Gnus devs, and/or Stallman -- I don't recall. The general impression was that `epg' just might replace `pgg' altogether in the future; code/decisions/interfaces are in flux... etc. Mostly I hope that MH-E will add this feature soon after No Gnus reaches a beta/merge/release state :-). Before-hand could be premature, IMHO. Regards, -timotheus