Eli Zaretskii writes: >> I've added these options in the patch because I want to have minibuffer >> completions in `dictionary-search`'s prompts, similarly to >> `dict-describe-word`. That's also why I mentioned all three >> customizations in my earlier message: to show how to obtain the behavior >> of `dict-describe-word` in dictionary.el using the new user options. >> >> But from the perspective of other dictionary.el users, it may be useful >> to customize each of the options but not the necessarily all of them. >> That's why I implemented them as separate user options. Makes sense? > > AFAIR, this started from you proposing a package that would behave as > if all 3 options were customized, and saying that you like this > alternative behavior much better, so much so that you felt a new > package is in order. So I'm asking why not let users who, like you, > will like that much better, to get that behavior, with all its bells > and whistles, by setting just one option? Wouldn't you personally > like such an option and use it all the time? Yes, I see what you mean. I'm attaching an updated patch that implements your suggestion to add another `defcustom` with an appropriate :set function. It's now enough to do: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- (setopt dictionary-search-interface 'help) --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- The updated patch also tries to address Philip's recommendation to extract the default parts of `dictionary-search` to standalone functions.