Dmitry Gutov writes: > On 06/12/2023 09:53, Eshel Yaron wrote: >> Hi Dmitry, >> Dmitry Gutov writes: >> >>>> +(defun ispell-completion-at-point () >>>> + "Word completion function for use in `completion-at-point-functions'." >>>> [...] >>>> + (list beg end (cdr all) >>>> + :annotation-function (lambda (_) " Dictionary word") >>> >>> I have to say that "Dictionary word" is not a great annotation: it's >>> long, longer than most of the completions coming from that backend, so >>> these words, repeated, constitute most of the text inside the >>> Completions buffer. And it's the same string for all completions. >> I see what you mean. How do you feel about the following >> alternatives? >> - "Word" >> - "Dict" >> - "Spell"/"Ispell" >> - "🕮" >> - No annotation at all >> - One of the above, and make it configurable > > My preference would be "no annotation at all", if we're talking about > simple solutions. Fine by me. I'm attaching a simple patch that does that. > The fourth option was a newspaper emoji? Well, it's supposed to be a book, you get it with `C-x 8 RET book RET`. > I think the more comprehensive approach here would be to implement > support for `:company-kind` in the default UI, and then return `text' > in that function. I agree, that would be nice in general and help here too. For this case I was also thinking about using the common part-of-speech of each word as its annotation (e.g. "n" for nouns, "v" for verbs...) but we don't get that information from the spelling dictionary, unfortunately. Here's that patch: