* Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-22 17:10 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

If I understand it correctly customize-set-variable can be used for
those who prefer to edit .emacs rather than use the custom interface.

Is that correct? If so should not this be documented in Info?

* Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-22 21:17 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-06-22 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

   If I understand it correctly customize-set-variable can be used for
   those who prefer to edit .emacs rather than use the custom interface.

The two I know of are custom-set-faces and custom-set-variables.  They
are put automatically into an initialization file by the Custom user
interface (that is how I discovered them) and can be edited manually.

Their expressions look like this (from my .emacs file):

        (custom-set-variables '(Info-fontify t))

        (custom-set-faces
         '(font-lock-comment-face
           ((((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "yellow")))))

    If so should not this be documented in Info?

Yes, they should; I did not realize they weren't!

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org

* Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-22 21:27   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert J. Chassell wrote:
>    If I understand it correctly customize-set-variable can be used for
>    those who prefer to edit .emacs rather than use the custom interface.
>
> The two I know of are custom-set-faces and custom-set-variables.  They
> are put automatically into an initialization file by the Custom user
> interface (that is how I discovered them) and can be edited manually.
>
> Their expressions look like this (from my .emacs file):
>
>         (custom-set-variables '(Info-fontify t))
>
>         (custom-set-faces
>          '(font-lock-comment-face
>            ((((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "yellow")))))
>
>     If so should not this be documented in Info?
>
> Yes, they should; I did not realize they weren't!

custom-set-variable is on another level.

I think there maybe is missing a very important piece of information
from the doc string of custom-set-variables. Doest not calling that
function set where to store customizations too?

* Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-22 22:19     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-06-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: bob, emacs-devel

>>    If I understand it correctly customize-set-variable can be used for
>>    those who prefer to edit .emacs rather than use the custom interface.
>>
>> The two I know of are custom-set-faces and custom-set-variables.  They
>> are put automatically into an initialization file by the Custom user
>> interface (that is how I discovered them) and can be edited manually.
>>
>> Their expressions look like this (from my .emacs file):
>>
>>         (custom-set-variables '(Info-fontify t))

BTW, `Info-fontify' is an obsolete variable according to the comment
in `Info-mode-hook'.

>>         (custom-set-faces
>>          '(font-lock-comment-face
>>            ((((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "yellow")))))
>>
>>     If so should not this be documented in Info?
>>
>> Yes, they should; I did not realize they weren't!
>
> custom-set-variable is on another level.

`customize-set-variable' is useful as a "command-line" replacement of the
Customization UI.

> I think there maybe is missing a very important piece of information from
> the doc string of custom-set-variables. Doest not calling that function
> set where to store customizations too?

Do you mean the docstring of `custom-set-variables' should mention that
normally the function `custom-set-variables' should be called from the
init file .emacs?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-22 22:23       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: bob, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov wrote:
> `customize-set-variable' is useful as a "command-line" replacement of the
> Customization UI.

Thanks, I think that should be mentioned in the manual.

>> I think there maybe is missing a very important piece of information from
>> the doc string of custom-set-variables. Doest not calling that function
>> set where to store customizations too?
>
> Do you mean the docstring of `custom-set-variables' should mention that
> normally the function `custom-set-variables' should be called from the
> init file .emacs?

I might misremember, but does not custom-set-variables make custom
remember where to store changes? So perhaps calling it from somewhere
else than that file might confuse custom?

* Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-23  0:30       ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-06-23  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Juri Linkov

   BTW, `Info-fontify' is an obsolete variable according to the comment
   in `Info-mode-hook'.

So it is!  Thank you.  I wonder how many other obsolete customizations
I have.

--

@ 2008-06-23  1:28         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-23  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Juri Linkov, bob, emacs-devel

> I might misremember, but does not custom-set-variables make custom remember
> where to store changes?

AFAIK it doesn't.

* Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
@ 2008-06-23 16:50           ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I might misremember, but does not custom-set-variables make custom remember
>> where to store changes?
>
> AFAIK it doesn't.

Thanks, you are right.

Though there are still reasons to tell about customize-set-variable.