* CVS does not bootstrap
@ 2004-03-29 13:00 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

After updating to
today's CVS snapshot, Mon, 2004 Mar 29  12:26 UTC
in /usr/local/src/emacs-test/ [rather than the more usual /usr/local/src/emacs/]
using the command   cvs -z6 update -dP
I ran

     make distclean

    ./configure --with-type1 --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
    --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
    && time make bootstrap

which resulted in this error:

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
    make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-test/lisp'
    make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

However, the vc-cvs.el file evaluates without reported error,
as does the alphabetically previous file, vc-arch.el, and the
alphabetically next file, vc-hooks.el.

Also, there is no
    emacs-test/leim/leim-list.el
file although I thought that file is supposed to be rebuilt
automatically if non-existent.

Please, could someone who knows more than I replicate this problem?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com

* CVS does not bootstrap
@ 2004-03-29 23:47 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-29 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sucess!  CVS now bootstraps.

After updating to
    Today's CVS snapshot, Mon, 2004 Mar 29  20:38 UTC
    GNU Emacs 21.3.50.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.4)
with a completely fresh checkout

I am able to build and run Emacs using

    ./configure --with-type1 --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
    --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
    && time make bootstrap

Also, after making a completely new checkout, not containing any of my
old CVS sources, I gradually added my old variations including, most
importantly, Mile's patch to xfaces.c.  Emacs continued to build
successfully.  (I was needlessly worried that the old patches I used
made a difference.)

This message is written and sent using this new instance of Emacs,
with Mile's patch applied, so I can actually read that this is the
*mail* buffer.

Thank you!

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com

* Re: CVS does not bootstrap
@ 2004-03-30  2:05 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-03-30  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <m1B86TH-000UMvC@rattlesnake.com>, "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:
> Sucess!  CVS now bootstraps.
> After updating to
>     Today's CVS snapshot, Mon, 2004 Mar 29  20:38 UTC
>     GNU Emacs 21.3.50.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.4)
> with a completely fresh checkout

> I am able to build and run Emacs using

>     ./configure --with-type1 --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
>     --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
>     && time make bootstrap

> Also, after making a completely new checkout, not containing any of my
> old CVS sources, I gradually added my old variations including, most
> importantly, Mile's patch to xfaces.c.  Emacs continued to build
> successfully.  (I was needlessly worried that the old patches I used
> made a difference.)

Do you mean that leim-list.el is also generated
successfully?

By the way, don't you happen to build Emacs under a hidden
directory (e.g. /.../.tmp/emacs)?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: CVS does not bootstrap
@ 2004-03-30 11:35   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-30 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   Do you mean that leim-list.el is also generated
   successfully?

Yes.  It was generated this time:

  -rw-r--r--    1 bob      users       27674 Mar 29 23:32 leim-list.el

(It was not generated earlier when bootstrapping failed.)

   By the way, don't you happen to build Emacs under a hidden
   directory (e.g. /.../.tmp/emacs)?

No, I build Emacs in /usr/local/src/emacs.  (I keep source directories
that I am working on in /usr/local/src/.)  I never heard of the idea
of using a hidden directory and do not see any reason to.

@ 2004-03-30 11:56     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-03-30 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <m1B8HWx-000UMvC@rattlesnake.com>, "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:
>    By the way, don't you happen to build Emacs under a hidden
>    directory (e.g. /.../.tmp/emacs)?

> No, I build Emacs in /usr/local/src/emacs.  (I keep source directories
> that I am working on in /usr/local/src/.)  I never heard of the idea
> of using a hidden directory and do not see any reason to.

Hmmm, then I have no idea which recent change fix building
of leim-list.el, which still make me uneasy.  But, perhaps
only vc related files were the source of your trouble.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: CVS does not bootstrap
@ 2004-03-30 18:08       ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-30 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   ... But, perhaps only vc related files were the source of your
   trouble.

That may well be the case.  vc-arch.el is no longer loaded although
it is compiled.

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com