* broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18
@ 2004-03-18 13:11 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob

Originally, I thought this had to do with the new vc-arch.el file, but
deleting it has no effect.  A newly recreated loaddefs.el file has no
effect either.  I am stumped.

Using today's CVS snapshot, Thu, 2004 Mar 18  12:07 UTC

I was unable to build  GNU Emacs with this command

     (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
       (compile
        "./configure --with-type1 \
         --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
         --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
          && time make bootstrap"))

The configure proceeded without reported error, then after starting
the bootstrap, this appeared:

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
    make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp'
    make[1]: *** [bootstrap-prepare] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp'
    make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

    real	0m0.814s
    user	0m0.480s
    sys	0m0.250s

    Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu Mar 18 12:12:20

In case there was some problem with byte compiling (not that I
expected any), I byte compiled vc-arch.el manually, with no trouble.
A second `make bootstrap' failed again.

It looks to me that the bug is not in vc-arch.el directly.

As a third experiment, I removed vc-arch.el and vc-arch.elc and ran
another config && make bootstrap command (as shown in the Lisp
expression above).  That build failed, with the same error messages as
above.

As a fourth experiment, I also removed vc-cvs.el and vc-cvs.elc and
suffered the same problem.

In my fifth try, I updated loaddefs.el but that failed, too, with the
same error report.

For your info, I updated loaddefs.el with this defun and the following
expression:

(defun bobs-update-autoloads ()
  "Update autoloads in loaddefs.el; a hack."
  (interactive)
  (let ((directories '( "."
                        "calc"
                        "calendar"
                        "emacs-lisp"
                        "emulation"
                        "eshell"
                        "gnus"
                        ;; "international"
                        ;; "language"
                        "mail"
                        "mh-e"
                        "net"
                        "obsolete"
                        "play"
                        "progmodes"
                        "term"
                        "textmodes"
                        "toolbar")))
    (while directories
      (update-directory-autoloads
       (concat "/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/" (car directories)))
      (setq directories (cdr directories)))))

  (bobs-update-autoloads)

[Because of problems with several files in the `lisp/international/'
and `lisp/language/' directories, I commented them out.  The reported
bug was

    (scan-error "Unbalanced parentheses" 8384 14043)
      scan-sexps(8384 1)]

 and referenced
      code-pages.el
      china-util.el
 and at least one other.]

As I said, when I tried the config && make bootstrap expression again,
it stopped with the same error report as before.

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com

* Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18
@ 2004-03-21 14:19 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-21 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bob

Success in bootstrap build, with CVS snapshot of Sun, 2004 Mar 21
13:48 UTC

The success is not from the new snapshot, but because of changes I
made to `emacs/leim/leim-list.el'.

On 2004 Mar 18 I reported a broken bootstrap build.  It turns out that
this resulted from corruption in the file `emacs/leim/leim-list.el'.

Manually, I removed a good number of

    (register-input-method ... )

expressions from that file and it now loads without error and Emacs
builds.

The function `update-leim-list-file' was unable to clean up the
corruption and did not report that it was failing.  I do not know how
the file got corrupted.

Also, a separate issue, I found that `make clean' removes the `emacs'
executable from `emacs/src' but that updating leim-list.el requires
that `emacs' exist.  The `emacs/src/emacs-21.3.50' did exist, so I
could copy from it to `emacs' and that solved that bug.

I am not sure quite what should be done about either problem, except
to ask that someone who understands make files better than I to look
into improving the error messages, please.

For a long time I thought that the initial failure came from a bug in
the autoloads since the last messages from the build were

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
    make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp'

which is misleading to someone like me.

@ 2004-03-23  1:13   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-03-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <m1B53ne-000UMrC@rattlesnake.com>, "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:
> On 2004 Mar 18 I reported a broken bootstrap build.  It turns out that
> this resulted from corruption in the file `emacs/leim/leim-list.el'.

> Manually, I removed a good number of

>     (register-input-method ... )

> expressions from that file and it now loads without error and Emacs
> builds.

> The function `update-leim-list-file' was unable to clean up the
> corruption and did not report that it was failing.  I do not know how
> the file got corrupted.

Could you try this?

% cd .../emacs/leim
% rm leim-list.el
% make

If it still generates a corrupted leim-list.el, please send
me that file.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18
@ 2004-03-23 14:40     ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-23 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   > The function `update-leim-list-file' was unable to clean up the
   > corruption and did not report that it was failing.  I do not know how
   > the file got corrupted.

   Could you try this?

   % cd .../emacs/leim
   % rm leim-list.el
   % make

   If it still generates a corrupted leim-list.el, please send
   me that file.

No leim-list.el file is generated.

For this experiment, I updated CVS Emacs to today.

Day before yesterday, 21 Mar 2004, I built Emacs successfully, with
changes to leim-list.el.  This is the situation to which you are
responding.

Unfortunately when I tried to build again yesterday with yesterday's
CVS update and using what I thought were the same instructions as the
day before, the build failed.

After much unsuccessful sleuthing, I gave up and reverted to the CVS
Emacs of 15 March 2004, which built successfully.  That is the version
of Emacs I am using now.

I did all the following in an xterm running BASH because nothing
seemed to happen when I answered the question
    File leim-list.el was lost; check out from version control? (yes or no)
either in the *compilation* buffer or in an Emacs shell.  As you can
see, a message appeared when I did this in an xterm.

Here is what I did after first copying my March 15 CVS directory to an
emacs-test/ directory:

    cd /usr/local/src/emacs-test
    cvs -z6 update -dP

## CVS updated at Tue, 2004 Mar 23  14:01 UTC

    cd leim
    rm leim-list.el
    ls -al leim-list.el
      ls: leim-list.el: No such file or directory

    make
      make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

    cd ..
    make distclean
      make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop.

    ./configure --with-type1 --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
    --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
    && time make bootstrap

## which generated an error:

  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
  make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-test/lisp'
  make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

## then I did this

    cd leim
    ls -al leim-list.el
      ls: leim-list.el: No such file or directory

    make

## this generated lots of compilation results then this;

  Updating /usr/local/src/emacs-test/leim/leim-list.el ...
  File leim-list.el was lost; check out from version control? (yes or no) yes
  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
  make: *** [leim-list.el] Error 255

## and finally, I looked again

   ls -al leim-list.el
     ls: leim-list.el: No such file or directory

Hope this helps.

I am running

    Debian GNU/Linux, testing
    Linux kernel:  2.4.25
    XFree86 version: 4.2.1.1

@ 2004-03-23 15:12       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

> ## which generated an error:

>   Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>   make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-test/lisp'
>   make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Did you check out from Arch or from CVS?
If not from Arch, I'd be interested to know if other people see vc-arch
being loaded as well, because that's a bug.

>   File leim-list.el was lost; check out from version control? (yes or no) yes

vc-arch.el has a bug that causes the above question to which a "yes" answer
leads to an error: you should respond "no" (or rather Emacs shouldn't ask
the question in the first place).

* Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18
@ 2004-03-23 17:44         ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2004-03-23 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> asked

   Did you check out from Arch or from CVS?

>From CVS.

At Tue, 2004 Mar 23 17:24 UTC, I removed vc-arch.el and did a CVS
update. `vc-arch.el' was copied into my lisp directory.  When I tried
a configure and bootstrap build, the same error as above was printed..

So I removed the reinstalled `vc-arch.el' and again tried a configure
and bootstrap build.  This time the message was

    Cannot open load file: vc-arch
    make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 255

So I ran CVS update again, 17:32 UTC, which only copied vc-arch.el
into my lisp directory. Then I ran the configure and bootstrap build
again.

This time the error message was:

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
    make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-test/lisp'
    make[1]: *** [bootstrap-prepare] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-test/lisp'
    make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Yesterday and today, the only successful configure and bootstrap build
has been with the CVS Emacs of 15 March 2004.  (That is what I am
using to write this message.)

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com