* CVS bootstrap: Cannot open mh-e
@ 2003-01-28 14:59 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2003-01-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current CVS snapshot is missing the mh-*.el files, which
Gnus requires.

Today's CVS snapshot, Tue, 2003 Jan 28  13:43 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.104 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
fails to bootstrap:

    gcc=gcc-3.2 ./configure --with-type1 --prefix=/usr/local \
    --with-sound=yes && gcc=gcc-3.2 time make bootstrap

and reports this error:

    Compiling /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mh.el

    In toplevel form:
    gnus/gnus-mh.el:37:1:Error: Cannot open load file: mh-e
    make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp'

Indeed, mh-e.el is missing from the

    emacs/lisp/mail/

directory, as are the other mh-*.el files.

I copied the old files from emacs/21.2.50/lisp/mail/mh-*.el to my CVS
directory and was able to build and install Emacs without reported
error.

    http://www.teak.cc                                     bob@gnu.org

* Re: CVS bootstrap: Cannot open mh-e
@ 2003-01-28 15:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> The current CVS snapshot is missing the mh-*.el files, which
> Gnus requires.

They have moved to a new directory.  Use "cvs update -d" to fetch the
new directory.

(I always use "cvs update -dP", to also purge empty directories.)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: CVS bootstrap: Cannot open mh-e
@ 2003-01-28 17:56   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2003-01-28 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de wrote:

   They have moved to a new directory.  Use "cvs update -d" to fetch
   the new directory.

Thank you.  I did that and it has built and installed without reported
error.

My mistake.  I just noticed that I ran the PCL-CVS command `cvs-update'
with nil as a second argument rather than t.  With t, `cvs-update'
uses `cvs-update-flags' and does the right thing.

@ 2003-01-30 23:19 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2003-01-30 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> The current CVS snapshot is missing the mh-*.el files, which
> Gnus requires.

Robert,

  I feel badly about having taken up your time. As Kai mentioned, I did
  move the files into their own directory. I did send a couple of warnings
  to use "cvs up -d" to this list. Is there anything else I can do to
  get the word out?

* Re: CVS bootstrap: Cannot open mh-e
@ 2003-01-31 12:31   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2003-01-31 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

   > The current CVS snapshot is missing the mh-*.el files, which
   > Gnus requires.

   Robert,

     I feel badly about having taken up your time. As Kai mentioned, I did
     move the files into their own directory. I did send a couple of warnings
     to use "cvs up -d" to this list. Is there anything else I can do to
     get the word out?

Thank you for your concern.  It was my mistake: I was evaluating

     (cvs-update "/usr/local/src/emacs/" t)

with a nil instead of a t and so PCL-CVS did not prune the old and add
the new directory.  I erroneously thought PCL-CVS would do the right
thing, and did not expect the expression to be the problem.  But it
was.

I don't think you could have done any better.

    http://www.teak.cc                                     bob@gnu.org