Ken Manheimer writes: > i now have a fix i'm more confident about, because (1) it takes care > of another problem i noticed, even with my previous fix, and (2) it > departs less from the checked-in version of the function, leaving less > room for betrayal of unfamiliar concerns. I propose the following change instead, which, in addition to incorporating your fix, restores the useful special handling of field boundaries. As noted in another thread, C-a and C-e behaviour is currently broken in the minibuffer, in *shell* buffers, in entry fields in customization buffers, and all other places where fields are used. This makes `move-{beginning,end}-of-line' inconsistent with the original `{beginning,end}-of-line' commands (which are still available) and the underlying `line-{beginning,end}-position' functions. Meanwhile, I committed two (hopefully non-controversial) related fixes in CVS; the first is for an annoying cursor display problem when point is just before an ellipsis coming from an invisible overlay. The second fixed `constrain-to-field' to always return the right result when new-pos or old-pos is on a field boundary.