* Using smtps over port 465 in emacs24
@ 2011-12-15  3:45 Rene
From: Rene @ 2011-12-15  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

emacs-version "24.0.92.1"

I didn't encounter any problem using the smtp protocol on port 25.  But now that
my company has turned to a secured smtp server I now should be using the smtps
protocol on port 465. Unfortunately I cannot seem to make this work.

Besides I don't get any error message at all which leaves me with no clue on how
to debug this problem although both `smtpmail-debug-verb' and
`smtpmail-debug-info' are set to t.

*Here is my configuration*

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtps.company.domain.name")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq user-mail-address "my.name@domain.name")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "domain.name")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-user "loginName")

*Here is the corresponding line in my ~/.authinfo.gpg*

machine smtps.company.domain.name  login loginName   password xxx  port 465

*Here is the trace*

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
    accept-process-output(#<process smtpmail> 0 50)

  network-stream-get-response(#<process smtpmail> 1 "^[0-9]+ .*^M\n")

  network-stream-open-starttls("smtpmail" #<buffer *trace of SMTP
  session to smtps.company.domain.name*>
  "smtps.company.domain.name" 465 (:type nil :return-list t
  :capability-command "EHLO machine.domain.name^M\n" :end-of-command
  "^[0-9]+ .*^M\n" :success "^2.*\n" :always-query-capabilities t
  :starttls-function #[(capabilities) "\301\302^H\"\205^H^@\303\207"
  [capabilities string-match "[ -]STARTTLS" "STARTTLS^M\n"] 3]
  :client-certificate t :use-starttls-if-possible t))

  open-network-stream("smtpmail" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to
  smtps.company.domain.name*> "smtps.company.domain.name" 465
  :type nil :return-list t :capability-command "EHLO
  machine.domain.name^M\n" :end-of-command "^[0-9]+ .*^M\n" :success
  "^2.*\n" :always-query-capabilities t :starttls-function
  #[(capabilities) "\301\302^H\"\205^H^@\303\207" [capabilities
  string-match "[ -]STARTTLS" "STARTTLS^M\n"] 3] :client-certificate t
  :use-starttls-if-possible t)

  byte-code("\306\307\310^H\"!^Qr q\210\311^R\312
  \210)\313\211^[^\\314\315 ^H^M\316^N@\317\311\320\307\321\322
  (...)
  [host process-buffer buffer-undo-list coding-system-for-write
  coding-system-for-read port get-buffer-create format "*trace of SMTP
  session to %s*" t erase-buffer binary open-network-stream "smtpmail"
  :type :return-list :capability-command "EHLO %s^M\n" smtpmail-fqdn
  :end-of-command "^[0-9]+ .*^M\n" :success "^2.*\n"
  :always-query-capabilities :starttls-function #[(capabilities)
  "\301\302^H\"\205^H^@\303\207" [capabilities string-match "[
  -]STARTTLS" "STARTTLS^M\n"] 3] :client-certificate
  :use-starttls-if-possible throw done plist-get :error "Unable to
  contact server" set-process-filter smtpmail-process-filter :greeting
  smtpmail-response-code "No greeting: %s" 400 "Connection not
  allowed: %s" set-buffer-process-coding-system raw-text-unix
  make-local-variable smtpmail-read-point :capabilities
  smtpmail-command-or-throw "HELO %s" delete "" split-string ...] 24)

  smtpmail-via-smtp((#("Jean-Luc.Koning@esisar.domain.name" 0 38
  (fontified nil))) #<buffer smtpmail temp>)

  smtpmail-send-it()

  mail-send()

  vm-mail-send()

  ad-Orig-vm-mail-send-and-exit(nil)

  apply(ad-Orig-vm-mail-send-and-exit nil)

  vm-mail-send-and-exit(nil)

  call-interactively(vm-mail-send-and-exit)

Any help is much welcome.

--
Rene

* Re: Using smtps over port 465 in emacs24
@ 2011-12-16  9:08 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-12-16  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Dec 15 2011, Rene wrote:

> emacs-version "24.0.92.1"
>
> I didn't encounter any problem using the smtp protocol on port 25.  But now that
> my company has turned to a secured smtp server I now should be using the smtps
> protocol on port 465. Unfortunately I cannot seem to make this work.
>
> Besides I don't get any error message at all which leaves me with no clue on how
> to debug this problem although both `smtpmail-debug-verb' and
> `smtpmail-debug-info' are set to t.
>
> *Here is my configuration*
>
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtps.company.domain.name")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
> (setq user-mail-address "my.name@domain.name")
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain "domain.name")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-user "loginName")

Try to add :

    (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)

--
Julien Danjou

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Using smtps over port 465 in emacs24
@ 2011-12-18  4:05   ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2011-12-18  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Julien Danjou <julien <at> danjou.info> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 15 2011, Rene wrote:
>
> > Now that
> > my company has turned to a secured smtp server I should be using the smtps
> > protocol on port 465. Unfortunately I cannot seem to make this work.
>
> Try to add :
>
>     (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)

Great.  It's working.

Thanks.

--

@ 2011-12-18 17:16   ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2011-12-18 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Julien Danjou <julien <at> danjou.info> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 15 2011, Rene wrote:
>
> > my company has turned to a secured smtp server
> > I now should be using the smtps protocol on port 465.
> > Unfortunately I cannot seem to make this work.
>
> Try to add :
>
>     (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)

It's good you mentionned this because I never could have figured this out by
myself from the info file nor from the smtpmail.el file.

This fix should definitely be added to the variable's documentation string.

> > Besides I don't get any error message at all which leaves me
> > with no clue on how
> > to debug this problem although both `smtpmail-debug-verb' and
> > `smtpmail-debug-info' are set to t.

That's strange that absolutely no message whatsoever was issued when trying to
send messages.

--

@ 2011-12-19  0:57     ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2011-12-19  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 12/18/2011 5:16 PM, Rene wrote:

> It's good you mentionned this because I never could have figured this out by
> myself from the info file nor from the smtpmail.el file.
>
> This fix should definitely be added to the variable's documentation string.

Glad to see your problem is solved.  Can you file an emacs-bug-report?
I notice that the customize for the variable doesn't have ssl on the
menu either.

> That's strange that absolutely no message whatsoever was issued when trying to
> send messages.

Network problems often don't result in error messages.  I don't know if
that is Emacs's fault or the network layer's.

But the normal behavior is for Emacs to hang while waiting for network
connections.  Are you saying that it did not even hang?

Cheers,
Uday

* Re: Using smtps over port 465 in emacs24
@ 2011-12-19  1:44       ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2011-12-19  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uday S Reddy <usr.vm.rocks <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Glad to see your problem is solved.  Can you file an emacs-bug-report?

Done.

> Network problems often don't result in error messages.  I don't know if
> that is Emacs's fault or the network layer's.

You're right.

> But the normal behavior is for Emacs to hang while waiting for network
> connections.  Are you saying that it did not even hang?

It did hang.

Thanks.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-devel

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

>>     (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
>
> It's good you mentionned this because I never could have figured this out by
> myself from the info file nor from the smtpmail.el file.

I've now added this to the doc string.