* issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-10 23:30 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2010-06-10 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm trying the 23.2 release Cocoa Emacs build (OS X 10.6.3). There's a
number of things that are more annoying about Cocoa Emacs than the
terrific Carbon Emacs (based on an Emacs 22 build, I believe), so I
hoped folks might have some solutions/thoughts:

- Option key is meta, but I like command better; easy to solve though:

    (setq mac-option-key-is-meta nil
          mac-command-key-is-meta t
          mac-command-modifier 'meta
          mac-option-modifier nil)

    This also works:

 '(ns-alternate-modifier (quote none))
 '(ns-command-modifier (quote meta))

- Antialiasing looks (to me) a lot worse than with Carbon Emacs
particularly in my mailer (Wanderlust).

- I used to be able to option-click (in my mailer again) on web links,
but that doesn't work any more. This might be mailer-specific, but I
don't think so; I think it used to map to middle-button, but it doesn't
any more (no matter which of the two remappings above I use).

- I used to be able to "open -a Emacs foo.bar" in the terminal and
that would open in my Emacs. No longer is that the case. Now it
launches a new Emacs instance. Grrr. I guess daemon-mode is a possibility,
but the old behavior was really nice.

Thoughts?

JDO

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-11  3:06 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2010-06-11  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jun 10, 2010, at 7:30 PM, John Owens wrote:

> - I used to be able to "open -a Emacs foo.bar" in the terminal and
> that would open in my Emacs. No longer is that the case. Now it
> launches a new Emacs instance. Grrr. I guess daemon-mode is a possibility,
> but the old behavior was really nice.

This should work as it did before.  "open -n" would launch a new process.  Try "open -a Emacs.app", and maybe clear your LaunchServices database.

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-11  4:37   ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2010-06-11  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Reitter <david.reitter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 10, 2010, at 7:30 PM, John Owens wrote:
> >
> > - I used to be able to "open -a Emacs foo.bar" in the terminal and
> > that would open in my Emacs. No longer is that the case. Now it
> > launches a new Emacs instance. Grrr. I guess daemon-mode is a possibility,
> > but the old behavior was really nice.
>
> This should work as it did before.  "open -n" would launch a new process.  Try
"open -a Emacs.app", and maybe
> clear your LaunchServices database.

Good news: Found another emacs that was getting in the way. Thanks!
Now it launches from the Emacs I expect. (Also it launches with both
open -a Emacs and open -a Emacs.app, which is good.)

Bad news: Still opens foo.bar in a new window rather than in the
same window (as Carbon Emacs did). Any idea how to get the old behavior?

@ 2010-06-11 11:09     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2010-06-11 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jun 11, 2010, at 12:37 AM, John Owens wrote:

> Bad news: Still opens foo.bar in a new window rather than in the
> same window (as Carbon Emacs did). Any idea how to get the old behavior?

I think there is a configuration variable (ns-pop-up-frames or so), which might help.

However, I would hope we'll be getting rid of that variable at some point; I have changed frame handling at least in Aquamacs:

http://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/issues/closed#issue/39

So if somebody wants to back-port it as necessary and make a patch for Emacs 23/24, maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea.

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-11 12:04 ` Stephen Eilert
From: Stephen Eilert @ 2010-06-11 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:30 PM, John Owens <john_owens@yahoo.com> wrote:

> - Antialiasing looks (to me) a lot worse than with Carbon Emacs
> particularly in my mailer (Wanderlust).

Can you get some screenshots comparing the two?

-- Stephen

Sent from my Emacs

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-11 13:49     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2010-06-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john_owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

+ John Owens <john_owens@yahoo.com>:

> Bad news: Still opens foo.bar in a new window rather than in the
> same window (as Carbon Emacs did). Any idea how to get the old behavior?

FWIW, the work is done by function ns-find-file, whose definition is
found in ns-win.el. You might have to override that function to get
what you want.

I found this out by typing C-h l after open -a emacs ..., which
revealed the event name <ns-open-file-line>. Then it was just a
question of looking up the event:

(lookup-key global-map [ns-open-file-line])
=> ns-open-file-select-line

and then looking up the function definition of
ns-open-file-select-line.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22
@ 2010-06-11 13:58       ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2010-06-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hanche-Olsen; +Cc: john_owens, emacs-devel

On Jun 11, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> FWIW, the work is done by function ns-find-file, whose definition is
> found in ns-win.el. You might have to override that function to get
> what you want.

I think you should be able to apply this patch without major changes:

http://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/commit/38aec03957f0d6803b0bc711ea56ed8d993011e3

I think all of that code should be streamlined to use `dnd' (I think that's what it was in the Carbon port).  That's part of what is done in that commit.

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-11 16:29   ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2010-06-11 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stephen Eilert <spedrosa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:30 PM, John Owens <john_owens <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > - Antialiasing looks (to me) a lot worse than with Carbon Emacs
> > particularly in my mailer (Wanderlust).
>
> Can you get some screenshots comparing the two?

http://tinyurl.com/23emfxc

To me the right pane (Carbon Emacs) looks a lot better than the left pane
(emacs 23). This is the "Inconsolata" font. It's boldface that looks the
worst to me. Perhaps this is a perception issue, but my perception is 23
took a step backwards.

@ 2010-06-11 23:38     ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2010-06-11 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

> To me the right pane (Carbon Emacs) looks a lot better than the left
> pane (emacs 23). This is the "Inconsolata" font. It's boldface that
> looks the worst to me. Perhaps this is a perception issue, but my
> perception is 23 took a step backwards.

That might be due to the difference in how to simulate bold-face for
the fonts that don't have the "real" bold (e.g, Monaco).  The Carbon
port in Emacs 22 uses synthetic bold in ATSUI or Quickdraw Text, and
the NS port uses overstriking.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: issues migrating to cocoa emacs (23.2) from carbon emacs (22)
@ 2010-06-12  0:22       ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2010-06-12  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu <at> math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp> writes:

> > To me the right pane (Carbon Emacs) looks a lot better than the left
> > pane (emacs 23). This is the "Inconsolata" font. It's boldface that
> > looks the worst to me. Perhaps this is a perception issue, but my
> > perception is 23 took a step backwards.
>
> That might be due to the difference in how to simulate bold-face for
> the fonts that don't have the "real" bold (e.g, Monaco).  The Carbon
> port in Emacs 22 uses synthetic bold in ATSUI or Quickdraw Text, and
> the NS port uses overstriking.

That would be a sensible answer! IMHO, then, synthetic-bold >> overstriking. :)

JDO