* ns-win.el trivia
@ 2008-07-17  4:42 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-17  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Some trivial ns-win.el comments:

What's the point of ns-carbon-compat being a separate file, when it's
only 5 aliases that ns-win.el always loads?

I can't see that the before-make-frame-hook stuff does anything.

ns-print-buffer, ns-toggle-toolbar, ns-next-frame, ns-prev-frame - if
needed, why NS-specific? They seem general.

* Re: ns-win.el trivia
@ 2008-07-17  7:23 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-17  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> I can't see that the before-make-frame-hook stuff does anything.

Sorry, ignore that. (Though it seems a funny thing to be doing.)

* Re: ns-win.el trivia
@ 2008-07-17 18:45 ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2008-07-17 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Some trivial ns-win.el comments:
>
> What's the point of ns-carbon-compat being a separate file, when it's
> only 5 aliases that ns-win.el always loads?

I was just trying to make it easier to maintain, quickly see what
it consisted of, etc..  I also thought it might get more
involved, as more people wanted more Carbon port functionality in
Emacs.app.  Maybe wait for some user feedback and see if it grows first?

> ns-print-buffer

  "Interactive front-end to `print-buffer': asks for user confirmation first."

It's used as a binding to cmd (super)-p, to prevent accidental
printings, to be more consistent with other apps on the platform,
etc..  Normal print commands (print-buffer, etc.) still act
without confirmation as in other versions of emacs.

> ns-toggle-toolbar

  "Switches the tool bar on and off in frame FRAME.
 If FRAME is nil, the change applies to the selected frame."

Mainly because I couldn't figure out a way to do this reliably
from C code at the time.  It would be better to use C code though
-- if someone knows how please implement the change.
[EmacsView -toggleToolbar:]

> ns-next-frame, ns-prev-frame

  "Switch to next visible frame."

These are just there for keybindings: cmd (super)-left,right.
These don't conflict with any bindings in core emacs, and are
compatible with some other platform apps (e.g. Terminal) that
manage multiple windows.  They are 1-line implementations, but I
couldn't figure out how to get them into the keybindings without
defining a function. (Less ugly than a lambda.)

* Re: ns-win.el trivia
@ 2008-07-18  0:03 ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2008-07-18  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Some trivial ns-win.el comments:
>
> What's the point of ns-carbon-compat being a separate file, when it's
> only 5 aliases that ns-win.el always loads?
>
> I can't see that the before-make-frame-hook stuff does anything.
>
> ns-print-buffer, ns-toggle-toolbar, ns-next-frame, ns-prev-frame - if
> needed, why NS-specific? They seem general.

One more trivial question: where is ns-ps-print-buffer-with-faces defined?

* Re: ns-win.el trivia
@ 2008-07-19 17:22   ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2008-07-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Vinicius Jose Latorre <viniciusjl <at> ig.com.br> writes:

> One more trivial question: where is ns-ps-print-buffer-with-faces defined?

Ah, that's a typo (although we would eventually like to define
that function to print using Cocoa's multi-device rendering
capability ;).

Fixed in CVS.