* mailabbrev fix from Jan 2005 now broken in latest CVS
@ 2007-07-31  3:46 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2007-07-31  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Greetings, I use the "wanderlust" mailer in emacs and asked for some
changes in January 2005 in "mailabbrev" to support auto-completion.
When I type an alias, if that alias has a '-' in it, it autocompleted
when the - is typed. The fix corrected this problem. Now the
problem has returned.

Here was the original fix:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/31657

(That actually fixed the problem of typing a '@' causing an autocomplete
so if you had an alias 'mark' and typed 'mark@foo.com', it would
autocomplete your 'mark' alias when you typed the '@'. But as I recall,
there was a '-' completion problem as well.)

It appears that revision 1.75 fixed this:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/lisp/mail/mailabbrev.el?revision=1.75&root=emacs&view=markup

(sendmail-pre-abbrev-expand-hook):
Don't expand if the character is @, period, dash, etc.

The only major change between now and then was rms's 1.82.2.1 / 1.83
change, and I'm suspecting that caused it. I confirmed that this
is the case by installing the previous version (the one right
before the 1.82.2.1 / 1.83 fix) 1.68.2.10, which does not exhibit
the problem.

I can reproduce by calling compose-mail and typing an alias to be
expanded that has a '-' in it - it currently expands when the '-'
is typed even if the alias continues after the '-' ('mark-h' for
instance).

JDO

* Re: mailabbrev fix from Jan 2005 now broken in latest CVS
@ 2007-08-01  5:39 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-01  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Owens; +Cc: emacs-devel

    The only major change between now and then was rms's 1.82.2.1 / 1.83
    change, and I'm suspecting that caused it. I confirmed that this
    is the case by installing the previous version (the one right
    before the 1.82.2.1 / 1.83 fix) 1.68.2.10, which does not exhibit
    the problem.

What exactly IS the problem, at the Lisp level?
It is not use describing it in user level terms
involving a mailer that isn't part of Emacs, because we can't
work on it that way.

    I can reproduce by calling compose-mail and typing an alias to be
    expanded that has a '-' in it - it currently expands when the '-'
    is typed even if the alias continues after the '-' ('mark-h' for
    instance).

Could you please send me a *precise* test case for this bug?  The test
case should start with `emacs -q', so that your .emacs file does not
affect it, and it should show exactly what text to put in the buffer,
what commands to execute, and how and where to click.  Also please say
exactly what incorrect results you get.

* Re: mailabbrev fix from Jan 2005 now broken in latest CVS
@ 2007-08-01 18:22   ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2007-08-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Could you please send me a *precise* test case for this bug?  The test
> case should start with `emacs -q', so that your .emacs file does not
> affect it, and it should show exactly what text to put in the buffer,
> what commands to execute, and how and where to click.  Also please say
> exactly what incorrect results you get.

Thanks for your reply, and your detailed description of what you need
to take a closer look. Here are the steps I use to reproduce the
problem. There is probably a much more efficient way for me to do the
init than what I've done (having to set the load-path and manually add
the paths to the load-library calls seems kludgey), so please clue me
in.

I am using Carbon Emacs on OS X, though my best guess is that this
problem would also be present on other platforms.

GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin8.9.1, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of
2007-06-16 on localhost

It uses what appears to be the latest cvs mailabbrev (the changes in
1.82.2.1 / 1.83) and almost certainly uses a mid-June drop of emacs
from cvs.

First, I defined the following file, ~/test-mailabbrev.el.

======

;;; begin test-mailabbrev.el

(setq load-path
      '("/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp"
	"/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp"
	"/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail"))

;; load compose-mail
(load-library
 "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/simple.el")

;; load mailabbrev
(load-library
 "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/mailabbrev.el")

(define-mail-abbrev "rms" "rms@gnu.org")
(define-mail-abbrev "rms-other" "rms@other.org")
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'mail-abbrevs-setup)

;;; end test-mailabbrev.el

======

Then I reproduce using the following sequence:

======

/* launch emacs with -q */
$ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs -q

/* within emacs, type everything before the ;; */
M-x load-library ~/test-mailabbrev.el
M-x compose-mail  ;; this places point after "To: "
rms,        ;; this properly expands "rms" to "rms@gnu.org"
            ;; "To" line is now "To: rms@gnu.org,"
rms-        ;; this should NOT expand the rms alias but does
            ;; I would like to finish the alias "rms-" to "rms-other"
            ;; "To" line is now "To: rms@gnu.org,rms@gnu.org-"
            ;; Desired "To" line is "To: rms@gnu.org,rms-"
            ;; with an unexpanded "rms-"

======

If I use the previous 1.68.2.10 version of mailabbrev (load it instead
of the one in cvs), the problem does not appear. Instead it does NOT
expand rms- with rms's alias and waits until the end of the alias (a
comma or a space) to expand rms-other.

One-sentence summary: The character '-' should not cause an alias
expansion via mailabbrev.

@ 2007-08-13  0:52 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-13  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would someone please fix this, then ack?

To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: John Owens <john_owens@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:22:26 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: mailabbrev fix from Jan 2005 now broken in latest CVS

@ 2007-08-15  2:07 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-08-15  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Would someone please fix this, then ack?

Andreas Schwab fixed it 6 days ago.

2007-08-08  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

   * mail/mailabbrev.el (sendmail-pre-abbrev-expand-hook):
   Check for self-insert-command, not self-insert.

@ 2007-08-15  3:35   ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2007-08-15  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > Would someone please fix this, then ack?
>
> Andreas Schwab fixed it 6 days ago.

In fact he did! I confirm it works OK. Thanks,
Andreas (& Glenn).

JDO