* epg: "byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil" when saving
@ 2014-01-20 19:24 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-01-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi!

I've got emacs-snapshot from [1]:
    Architecture: amd64
    Version: 2:20140101-1~bpo70+1

When I try to save a file like secret.gpg (Org-mode) with epg, I
get:

"byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil"

... and it does not save my changes.

I am no Emacs export and therefore I rely on your help to track this
issue further down if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

  1. http://emacs.naquadah.org/
--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are

* Re: epg: "byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil" when saving
@ 2014-01-20 20:42 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-devel

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> I've got emacs-snapshot from [1]:
>     Architecture: amd64
>     Version: 2:20140101-1~bpo70+1
>
> When I try to save a file like secret.gpg (Org-mode) with epg, I
> get:
>
> "byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil"

Can you get a backtrace by setting (setq debug-on-error t) first?

 Bastien

* Re: epg: "byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil" when saving
@ 2014-01-26 11:02   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-01-26 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I've got emacs-snapshot from [1]:
>>     Architecture: amd64
>>     Version: 2:20140101-1~bpo70+1
>>
>> When I try to save a file like secret.gpg (Org-mode) with epg, I
>> get:
>>
>> "byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil"
>
> Can you get a backtrace by setting (setq debug-on-error t) first?

Sure, the backtrace is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Opening output file" integer-or-marker-p nil)
  signal(file-error ("Opening output file" integer-or-marker-p nil))
  byte-code("\304^H \"\211^R\203^H^@\n\305\241\210\306\307\310^KAB\"\207" [file epa-file-passphrase-alist entry error assoc nil signal file-error "Opening output file"] 4)
  epa-file-write-region(nil nil "/home/vk/share/all/org-mode/private.gpg" nil t)
  apply(epa-file-write-region (nil nil "/home/vk/share/all/org-mode/private.gpg" nil t))
  epa-file-handler(write-region nil nil "/home/vk/share/all/org-mode/private.gpg" nil t)
  write-region(nil nil "/home/vk/share/all/org-mode/private.gpg" nil t "~/share/all/org-mode/private.gpg")
  basic-save-buffer-2()
  basic-save-buffer-1()
  basic-save-buffer()
  save-buffer(1)
  call-interactively(save-buffer nil nil)
  command-execute(save-buffer)

--

@ 2014-01-26 22:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-26 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-devel

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

>> Can you get a backtrace by setting (setq debug-on-error t) first?
>
> Sure, the backtrace is:

It seems you don't reach the dialog asking for your password,
or this dialog ends up incorrectly.

Maybe you can try to debug `epa-file-write-region' with
`edebug-defun' and see what happens?

--
 Bastien

* Re: epg: "byte-code: Opening output file: integer-or-marker-p, nil" when saving
@ 2014-01-29 15:23       ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-01-29 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>>> Can you get a backtrace by setting (setq debug-on-error t) first?
>>
>> Sure, the backtrace is:
>
> It seems you don't reach the dialog asking for your password,
> or this dialog ends up incorrectly.
>
> Maybe you can try to debug `epa-file-write-region' with
> `edebug-defun' and see what happens?

Hm.

Not sure what I have to look for.

When I debug this issue, I end up in line 255 of epa-file.el which
is the last one of the following snippet:

,----
`----

--

@ 2014-01-30  3:26         ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2014-01-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-devel

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Not sure what I have to look for.
>
> When I debug this issue, I end up in line 255 of epa-file.el which
> is the last one of the following snippet:
>
> ,----
> | (error
> |   (if (setq entry (assoc file epa-file-passphrase-alist))
> |      (setcdr entry nil))
> |   (signal 'file-error (cons "Opening output file" (cdr error)))))
> `----

Can you tell us the previous position where the actual error has been
reported?  Or maybe you could produce more readable backtrace with:

$ emacs -Q
M-x find-function epa-file-write-region
M-x eval-buffer
M-x toggle-debug-on-error
<open, edit, and save the secret.gpg file>

Also, see:

M-: (info "(epa) Bug Reports")

Regards,
--