* Emacs's --geometry argument vs default-frame-alist
@ 2006-10-24 18:27 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-10-24 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

The interaction between the --geometry argument and the default-frame-alist
setting has recently changed.

It is rather inconvenient for me now:

I typically start my Emacs as follows:

   emacs --geometry 256x1+0-0

and in my .emacs I do something like:

   (setq initial-frame-alist '((minibuffer . only)))
   (setq default-frame-alist
         '((minibuffer . nil) (height . 40) (width . 80) (user-size . t)))

This used to result in the exact behavior I want: Emacs starts as a single-line
minibuffer-only frame, and other frames have the normal size.

But now, my default-frame-alist I set in .emacs gets overwritten by the
"256x1" geometry argument, so subsequent frames also have this weird 256x1
shape :-(

What was the reason for the change?

* Re: Emacs's --geometry argument vs default-frame-alist
@ 2006-10-25  6:48 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-10-25  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier skrev:
> The interaction between the --geometry argument and the default-frame-alist
> setting has recently changed.
>
> It is rather inconvenient for me now:
>
> I typically start my Emacs as follows:
>
>    emacs --geometry 256x1+0-0
>
> and in my .emacs I do something like:
>
>    (setq initial-frame-alist '((minibuffer . only)))
>    (setq default-frame-alist
>          '((minibuffer . nil) (height . 40) (width . 80) (user-size . t)))
>
> This used to result in the exact behavior I want: Emacs starts as a single-line
> minibuffer-only frame, and other frames have the normal size.
>
> But now, my default-frame-alist I set in .emacs gets overwritten by the
> "256x1" geometry argument, so subsequent frames also have this weird 256x1
> shape :-(
>
> What was the reason for the change?

The reason was this:

C.9 Options for Window Size and Position

Here is a list of the command-line options for specifying size and
position of the initial Emacs frame:

`-g WIDTHxHEIGHT[{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET]]'
`--geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT[{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET]]'
      Specify the size WIDTH and HEIGHT (measured in character columns
      and lines), and positions XOFFSET and YOFFSET (measured in
      pixels).  The WIDTH and HEIGHT parameters apply to all frames,
      whereas XOFFSET and YOFFSET only to the initial frame.

"The WIDTH and HEIGHT parameters apply to all frames" was not true before the
change.  See thread at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00328.html

So the behaviour you see now does conform to the manual.  You can always put
width and height in the initial-frame-alist instead of giving -g on the
command line.

But there is something else going on here.  If I run with your settings above
in my .emacs (and only those lines), I first get a 256x1 minibuffer and
nothing else.  But frames created after that are 80x40.  Is that how it should be?

	Jan D.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs's --geometry argument vs default-frame-alist
@ 2006-10-25 14:57   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-10-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> But there is something else going on here.  If I run with your settings
> above in my .emacs (and only those lines), I first get a 256x1 minibuffer
> and nothing else.  But frames created after that are 80x40.  Is that how it
> should be?

Yes.  It actually works just fine.  I must have been drunk or something.
Sorry 'bout the noise,