* Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-01  2:14 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-01  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did not approve installing those changes now, and it seems like a
mistake to have installed them.  Since they have broken compilation
for at least one user, I think they should be removed, for now.  They
can be installed again later, after the Emacs 22.1 release.

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-01  7:55 ` Neil Roberts
From: Neil Roberts @ 2006-11-01  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:14:23PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I did not approve installing those changes now, and it seems like a
> mistake to have installed them.  Since they have broken compilation
> for at least one user, I think they should be removed, for now.

If I'm that user that was moaning that compilation has broken, I'd
just to like to say the actual check-in works quite nicely on Linux
and it was just the patch that was broken. I think it would be a shame
to remove the changes because (at least for me) it's quite annoying
that the emacsclient/server doesn't work on Windows and this is quite
a good solution.

- Neil

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-01  8:10 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-11-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I did not approve installing those changes now, and it seems like a
> mistake to have installed them.  Since they have broken compilation
> for at least one user, I think they should be removed, for now.  They
> can be installed again later, after the Emacs 22.1 release.

There was an agreement among other people (including myself) on the list
that installing this before the release would be a good thing -- to fix
the current mess with (various versions of) gnuclient/gnuserver.

The reported build problems with emacsclient should be fixed now.

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-01  9:30   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-11-01  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I did not approve installing those changes now, and it seems like a
>> mistake to have installed them.  Since they have broken compilation
>> for at least one user, I think they should be removed, for now.
>> They can be installed again later, after the Emacs 22.1 release.
>
> There was an agreement among other people (including myself) on the
> list that installing this before the release would be a good thing
> -- to fix the current mess with (various versions of)
> gnuclient/gnuserver.
>
> The reported build problems with emacsclient should be fixed now.

That's what I remember, too, and I very much agree that it would be a
bad idea to release Emacs 22.1 without a working emacsclient on
Windows again.

And that's even though I don't use Windows myself (but maintain a
package that is, among others, used by Windows users).

Please lets stick to the previous decision.

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-01 16:40   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-11-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> I did not approve installing those changes now, and it seems like a
>> mistake to have installed them.  Since they have broken compilation
>> for at least one user, I think they should be removed, for now.  They
>> can be installed again later, after the Emacs 22.1 release.

> There was an agreement among other people (including myself) on the list
> that installing this before the release would be a good thing -- to fix
> the current mess with (various versions of) gnuclient/gnuserver.

> The reported build problems with emacsclient should be fixed now.

100% agreement,

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-02  4:42     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, storm

If the reported problems caused by that change are indeed fixed now, I
will not insist on taking it out.  But people should have asked me
before installing such a troublesome change at this late date.

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-02  8:20       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-11-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, storm

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If the reported problems caused by that change are indeed fixed now,
> I will not insist on taking it out.  But people should have asked me
> before installing such a troublesome change at this late date.

IIRC we _had_ previously discussed this and it was agreed that the
change, while not stopping us from pretesting altogether, was
important enough to get in before the final release.

I had the impression that the inclusion was based on this previous
discussion and agreement and not done recklessly.

If it appears really necessary, I can try to dig up the relevant
discussion in the archives, but I'd like to save myself the trouble.

* Re: Large changes in emacsclient
@ 2006-11-02 11:28       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-11-02 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/2/06, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> But people should have asked me
> before installing such a troublesome change at this late date.

>From http://tinyurl.com/yb349k : "I did some work on this, which I
left aside because of the 100% CPU bug. I'd be willing to continue
with it (assuming the bug is fixed), but I cannot promise I won't miss
the "start of the pretesting" deadline, if it is that imminent as it
does appear."

>From http://tinyurl.com/yk8s5z : "As I said earlier, I intend to work
on it, but I don't think I'll hit the pretest target (if the date is
"beginning of September")."

Eli answered: "Since your work is about fixing a feature that was
broken, there should be no problem to install the fix even after the
pretest starts."

In http://tinyurl.com/yknek2 Kim said: "IMO, we should add the tcp
support in Emacs 22 (before the next pretest)."

Eli answered: "Agreed."

On http://tinyurl.com/yblncc Jason said: "OTOH, perhaps it is already
too late to consider this for release, and Windows users will have to
continue to use gnuclient until Emacs 23 is released."

On http://tinyurl.com/y5j3jy I said: "BTW, I'd *really* like for
someone to test the changes and comment on my other questions.
Otherwise, I'm just gonna commit the code and wait for the fireworks
:)"

Stefan answered: "Please do so".

On http://tinyurl.com/sjyxx I said: "(Note: I'm beating this into
shape with the idea of installing it in the next few days; I sure hope
the pretest is not a problem...)"

I got no answer to that last one.

So, even if you're technically correct in that I didn't specifically
asked for your permission, the issue was discussed several times in
public (and, in some cases, in threads you participated, like the one
discussing using (random t) for server.el). In all cases I was
encouraged to commit the patch.

Moreover, I resent the "troublesome" bit of your comment. All in all,
the emacsclient/server patch is quite small, and most issues have been
related to simple configuration issues that I had no way to test (and
said so) and that have been trivially fixed.

                    /L/e/k/t/u