From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>
Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org>,
	Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Moving Emacs 24.3 development to emacs-24 branch soon
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 09:04:24 -0400	[thread overview]

>> You should create a branch instead.  Your second step will lose the tag.

I doubt we'll lose the tag because of a push.  If anything, getting rid
of a Bzr tag is incredibly difficult.

>>> 2. In the `trunk' branch,
>>> bzr push bzr+ssh://NAME@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24
>>> This pushes the contents of `trunk' into `emacs-24'.

> Also, Andreas' proposal of creating a new branch would avoid the
> problem I pointed out here
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-08/msg00672.html

The format of Emacs version numbers is used at various places, so we'd
rather not change it.  I.e. pretests will be "NN.MM.PP" and releases
will be "NN.MM".  But we could release the trunk as Emacs-25.1 instead
of Emacs-24.3.
OTOH, I do not intend to release a 24.3 that's not cut from the
current trunk.  It would have to be a truly super-extra incredibly
urgent bug-fix to justify such measures.  IOW I wouldn't even bother
with the "emacs-24-base" tag, since if we really need to take such
extreme measures, finding the "last revision on emacs-24 before the
merge from trunk" would be a trivial part of the work ("bzr log, look
for the merge message").