* (Q|V)xxx mess?
@ 2013-10-02 15:43 Dmitry Antipov
From: Dmitry Antipov @ 2013-10-02 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

There are few pairs of (Q|V)xxx variables where Qxxx looks like
a leftovers in favor of Vxxx counterparts. For example, (Q|V)inhibit_quit
and (Q|V)inhibit_point_motion_hooks - I don't see any real use of
Qxxx except DEFSYM and (dummy?) specbind for both. Are Qxxx really
leftovers which can be removed?

Dmitry

* Re: (Q|V)xxx mess?
@ 2013-10-02 16:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-10-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Antipov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 19:43:28 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <dmantipov@yandex.ru>
>
> There are few pairs of (Q|V)xxx variables where Qxxx looks like
> a leftovers in favor of Vxxx counterparts. For example, (Q|V)inhibit_quit
> and (Q|V)inhibit_point_motion_hooks - I don't see any real use of
> Qxxx except DEFSYM and (dummy?) specbind for both. Are Qxxx really
> leftovers which can be removed?

Aren't Vxxx the variables while Qxxx their symbols?

* Re: (Q|V)xxx mess?
@ 2013-10-03  3:55 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-03  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Antipov; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> There are few pairs of (Q|V)xxx variables where Qxxx looks like
> a leftovers in favor of Vxxx counterparts. For example, (Q|V)inhibit_quit
> and (Q|V)inhibit_point_motion_hooks - I don't see any real use of
> Qxxx except DEFSYM and (dummy?) specbind for both. Are Qxxx really
> leftovers which can be removed?

Qfoo is the C counterpart of 'foo
Vfoo is the C counterpart of foo

IOW it should always be the case that EQ (Fsymbol_value (Qfoo), Vfoo).