* Confusing in NEWS
@ 2007-10-20  3:29 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-20  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

NEWS in Emacs 22 contains something like this

** The command `repeat' no longer attempts to repeat a command bound
   to an input event.

but I don't understand it.  What is "a command bound to an input
event" intended to mean?  For instance, consider `forward-word'.  It
is bound to the input event C-f, and C-x z does repeat it.

* Re: Confusing in NEWS
@ 2007-10-20 10:43 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-20 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > NEWS in Emacs 22 contains something like this
 >
 > ** The command `repeat' no longer attempts to repeat a command bound
 >    to an input event.
 >
 > but I don't understand it.  What is "a command bound to an input
 > event" intended to mean?  For instance, consider `forward-word'.  It
 > is bound to the input event C-f, and C-x z does repeat it.

My bad.  We could write

** The command `repeat' no longer attempts to repeat commands bound
    to input events represented as lists.

but maybe we shouldn't mention the change at all.  I added the entry
only to make sure that people won't get surprised by the new behavior.

* Re: Confusing in NEWS
@ 2007-10-20 13:10   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-20 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> ** The command `repeat' no longer attempts to repeat commands bound
>    to input events represented as lists.

I think this description is still too close the a ChangeLog entry.
Maybe just

** The command `repeat' now only attempts to repeat commands bound
   to actual key events, not mouse events.

> but maybe we shouldn't mention the change at all.  I added the entry
> only to make sure that people won't get surprised by the new behavior.

Yes, that would be fine as well,

* Re: Confusing in NEWS
@ 2007-10-20 17:05     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Maybe just
>
> ** The command `repeat' now only attempts to repeat commands bound
>    to actual key events, not mouse events.

I checked that in.  Feel free to remove the entry if you think
it's not needed :-)

* Re: Confusing in NEWS
@ 2007-10-21  2:02       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-21  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> Maybe just
>> ** The command `repeat' now only attempts to repeat commands bound
>> to actual key events, not mouse events.

> I checked that in.  Feel free to remove the entry if you think
> it's not needed :-)

To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about it being incorrect than
superfluous, so if the original author of the patch (at which I haven't even
bothered to look) could (i|co)nfirm.

* Re: Confusing in NEWS
@ 2007-10-21  7:25     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-21  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

    ** The command `repeat' now only attempts to repeat commands bound
       to actual key events, not mouse events.

    > but maybe we shouldn't mention the change at all.  I added the entry
    > only to make sure that people won't get surprised by the new behavior.

    Yes, that would be fine as well,

I agree, please delete it from NEWS.