* font related problems
@ 2008-03-04 13:10 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-03-04 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As it seems that the currently reported font related
problems are difficult to solve while keeping
non-font-backend codes, I started the work of making Emacs
use only font-backend codes.  It will take some time and I
won't be able to respond to each bug-report related to font
selection quickly, but please go on reporting new problems
you notice.  I keep them as test suites for the new codes.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: font related problems
@ 2008-03-04 13:47 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-03-04 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> As it seems that the currently reported font related
> problems are difficult to solve while keeping
> non-font-backend codes, I started the work of making Emacs
> use only font-backend codes.

Should we make --enable-font-backend the default now then?

* Re: font related problems
@ 2008-03-04 16:40   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-04 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

>> As it seems that the currently reported font related
>> problems are difficult to solve while keeping
>> non-font-backend codes, I started the work of making Emacs
>> use only font-backend codes.

> Should we make --enable-font-backend the default now then?

Yes, please someone make this change now in the trunk so that the
font-backend is enabled at compile time by default.