* Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  2:44 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-09  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  2:59 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-12-09  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?

Exclusively.

  > I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
  > been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
  > I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?

I have a successful build from Dec 5th.  (that just means I didn't try after that).

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  3:05 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-12-09  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?

I always build with a separate object directory (usually daily), and
haven't had any obvious problems.  [I usually build incrementally, but
make bootstrap also seems to work whenever I need to do it for some
reason.]

-Miles

--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  3:53   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-09  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
>> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
>> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
>> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?
> I always build with a separate object directory (usually daily), and
> haven't had any obvious problems.  [I usually build incrementally, but
> make bootstrap also seems to work whenever I need to do it for some
> reason.]

Hmm... then how does the byte-compilation work?

When I try it, it goes from the build/src to src/lisp (rather than
build/lisp) and then is asked to byte-compile with
../src/bootstrap-emacs which is absent.

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  3:59     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-12-09  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Hmm... then how does the byte-compilation work?
>
> When I try it, it goes from the build/src to src/lisp (rather than
> build/lisp) and then is asked to byte-compile with
> ../src/bootstrap-emacs which is absent.

I'm not sure what you mean by "goes from" ... Looking at
$BUILD/lisp/Makefile, the make rules all use absolute names to refer to
targets and sources in $SOURCE/lisp/... but while building, the CWD is
still going to be $BUILD/lisp (so ../src/xxx should refer to the "src"
dir in the build tree).

-Miles

--
Defenceless, adj. Unable to attack.

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  4:03     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-12-09  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

  > >> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
  > >> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
  > >> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
  > >> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?
  > > I always build with a separate object directory (usually daily), and
  > > haven't had any obvious problems.  [I usually build incrementally, but
  > > make bootstrap also seems to work whenever I need to do it for some
  > > reason.]
  >
  > Hmm... then how does the byte-compilation work?

The .elc files are put in the source tree, not the build tree.  Is that
what you are confused about?

  > When I try it, it goes from the build/src to src/lisp (rather than
  > build/lisp) and then is asked to byte-compile with
  > ../src/bootstrap-emacs which is absent.
  >

  >         Stefan

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  4:18       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-09  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

>> > I always build with a separate object directory (usually daily), and
>> > haven't had any obvious problems.  [I usually build incrementally, but
>> > make bootstrap also seems to work whenever I need to do it for some
>> > reason.]
>> Hmm... then how does the byte-compilation work?
> The .elc files are put in the source tree, not the build tree.  Is that
> what you are confused about?

Hmm... after cleaning everything and starting over, the problems
have disappeared.  I think they had to do with using a src dir where
I had done builds, and some of the files there interfered, although
I don't know which or how.

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09  6:05 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-12-09  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 21:44:43 -0500, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
>
> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?

I'm often building Emacs outside of a CVS checkout, if that is what you
are asking.  There was a recent bootstrap failure, but other than this I
have been building Emacs in ~/tmp/emacs-src by copying everything *but*
the CVS/ directories for a long time (at least a couple of years).

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09 14:25   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-09 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
>>
>> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
>> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
>> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?

> I'm often building Emacs outside of a CVS checkout, if that is what you
> are asking.  There was a recent bootstrap failure, but other than this I
> have been building Emacs in ~/tmp/emacs-src by copying everything *but*
> the CVS/ directories for a long time (at least a couple of years).

Oh, bu out-of-tree builds I was talking about the following kind of
thing:

   mkdir build
   cd build
   /path/to/emacs/sources/configure
   make

this is supposed to work.  And you might like to use it to avoid
copying everything.

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09 17:59     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-12-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:25:12 -0500, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
>>>
>>> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
>>> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
>>> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?
>
>> I'm often building Emacs outside of a CVS checkout, if that is what you
>> are asking.  There was a recent bootstrap failure, but other than this I
>> have been building Emacs in ~/tmp/emacs-src by copying everything *but*
>> the CVS/ directories for a long time (at least a couple of years).
>
> Oh, bu out-of-tree builds I was talking about the following kind of
> thing:
>
>    mkdir build
>    cd build
>    /path/to/emacs/sources/configure
>    make
>
> this is supposed to work.  And you might like to use it to avoid
> copying everything.

Ah, I see now.  Thanks.

I haven't tried building with $objdir != $srcdir in a long time then.
Reading the rest of the thread I see that you fixed the original problem
you had, so I will try building this way during the next update and see
how things work.

* Re: Out of tree builds
@ 2009-12-09 18:25     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-12-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Giorgos Keramidas, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier skrev:
>>> Are some people doing out-of-tree builds here?
>>>
>>> I just tried one and encountered some problems, but they seem to have
>>> been around for a long time (e.g. the use of ../src/bootstrap-emacs), so
>>> I wonder: have people used it successfully in the (recent) past?
>
>> I'm often building Emacs outside of a CVS checkout, if that is what you
>> are asking.  There was a recent bootstrap failure, but other than this I
>> have been building Emacs in ~/tmp/emacs-src by copying everything *but*
>> the CVS/ directories for a long time (at least a couple of years).
>
> Oh, bu out-of-tree builds I was talking about the following kind of
> thing:
>
>    mkdir build
>    cd build
>    /path/to/emacs/sources/configure
>    make
>
> this is supposed to work.  And you might like to use it to avoid
> copying everything.

I do that.  I don't have any problem with bootstrap.  What problems are you
seeing?

	Jan D.