* document the bug-tracker Web site?
@ 2008-12-19 17:24 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-12-19 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A recent question at help-gnu-emacs made me think that the bug-tracker Web site
should be mentioned in node Bugs of the Emacs manual.

A user wanted to know if there was a way to find out whether some bug or
enhancement request had already been reported etc. We should let users know that
there is a Web site where they can access bug reports.

* Re: document the bug-tracker Web site?
@ 2008-12-20  3:37 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-12-20  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

Drew Adams wrote:
> A recent question at help-gnu-emacs made me think that the bug-tracker Web site
> should be mentioned in node Bugs of the Emacs manual.

It should not be documented before it moves to gnu.org IMHO. If there is
no prospect of that happening before 23.1 is released, then perhaps we
should get the FSF admins to set up a redirection so we can document that.

* Re: document the bug-tracker Web site?
@ 2008-12-21  2:02   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-12-21  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

>> A recent question at help-gnu-emacs made me think that the
>> bug-tracker Web site should be mentioned in node Bugs of the
>> Emacs manual.

> It should not be documented before it moves to gnu.org IMHO. If there is no
> prospect of that happening before 23.1 is released, then perhaps we should
> get the FSF admins to set up a redirection so we can document that.

I don't see why we should wait.  We use it right now, so it's "the real
thing".  When we move it elsewhere (or switch to some other tool), we
will need to update the page correspondingly.

* Re: document the bug-tracker Web site?
@ 2008-12-21  2:52     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-12-21  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I don't see why we should wait.  We use it right now, so it's "the real
> thing".  When we move it elsewhere (or switch to some other tool), we
> will need to update the page correspondingly.

So we end up with versions of the manuals out there with an obsolete bug
database site address, which we knew in advance would happen before we
released those manuals.

Can we ask the FSF admins to set up a redirection now from say
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/bugs to the current bug database, then
when we move it to gnu.org, we need only change the redirection, and the
existing manuals will remain accurate.

* Re: document the bug-tracker Web site?
@ 2008-12-21  3:25       ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-12-21  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:52:13 +0800, Jason Rumney <jasonr@f2s.com> wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I don't see why we should wait.  We use it right now, so it's "the real
>> thing".  When we move it elsewhere (or switch to some other tool), we
>> will need to update the page correspondingly.
>
> So we end up with versions of the manuals out there with an obsolete
> bug database site address, which we knew in advance would happen
> before we released those manuals.
>
> Can we ask the FSF admins to set up a redirection now from say
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/bugs to the current bug database,
> then when we move it to gnu.org, we need only change the redirection,
> and the existing manuals will remain accurate.

The time window between the release of Emacs 23.1 and the release of
24.1 may be slightly large.  So I think it makes sense to have some way
to avoid links in the manual that are going to be obsolete when the move
happens.

Setting up the redirection now and using the www.gnu.org link is a good
way of avoiding the problem of an obsolete link in the manual :)

* Re: document the bug-tracker Web site?
@ 2008-12-21  4:17       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-12-21  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

>> I don't see why we should wait.  We use it right now, so it's "the real
>> thing".  When we move it elsewhere (or switch to some other tool), we
>> will need to update the page correspondingly.
> So we end up with versions of the manuals out there with an obsolete bug
> database site address, which we knew in advance would happen before we
> released those manuals.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Yes, we should point to a gnu.org URL whose
content will then redirect (either as an http redirect or as a plain
web page) the user to the current bug tracker.