From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Yuchen Pei <id@ypei.org>
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: hcel
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:26:34 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Yuchen, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier,

> It is a Haskell codebase explorer, using the server program provided by
> haskell-code-explorer[2], which I ported to recent GHC version[3] and
> I named my port / fork hcel.
>
> [1] https://g.ypei.me/hcel.git/tree/lisp
> [2] https://github.com/alexwl/haskell-code-explorer
> [3] https://g.ypei.me/hcel.git/about/
>
> I'm not sure whether it is unusual to submit a package that relies on a
> self-hosted free software server program,

Indeed, in many cases such modes start their life alongside the
associated tool, but it can be nicer for users if it's available in
GNU ELPA.

Often part of the issue is co-evolution (e.g. does it make sense to use
`hcel.el` from last year with the current `hcel` tool and vice versa).

IIUC the code you suggest we add to GNU ELPA is the one at
https://g.ypei.me/hc.el.git, right?

Given the fact that this tool has a fairly narrow focus, I must admit
that I'd prefer it doesn't eat up a two-letter file name like `hc`.
Any chance you can rename that main file to `hcel.el`?

Also, I see that your package has:

    ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "28") (haskell-mode))

but `haskell-mode` is currently neither in GNU ELPA nor in NonGNU ELPA
so we can't include it in neither of them.  Is the dependency
unavoidable (so we should first include `haskell-mode` in (Non)GNU
ELPA), or can it be removed (and replaced with a runtime test, possibly
allowing the use of other haskell modes such as haskell-tng-mode, which
*is* in NonGNU ELPA)?