* [boyer@cs.utexas.edu: follow-mode arg should be optional]
@ 2007-07-18  4:42 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-18  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]

Would someone please fix this in Emacs 22 and the trunk,
then ack?  (Please respond to him too--in general, when I
ask people to fix a bug, part of that should be to send a thanks
for the bug report.)

And please note his praise for all of us.

From: Robert Boyer <boyer@cs.utexas.edu>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 04:52:59 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: follow-mode arg should be optional

In follow.el, we read:

 (defun follow-mode (arg) ...

Maybe that arg should be &optional, so that it is
possible to put follow-mode in the first line of a
file, with, e.g.,

  -*- mode: follow; -*-

As it is now, I believe a wrong-number-of-arguments
error arises when the code that parses such first lines
tries to execute (follow-mode).  The error is masked to
some extent, but still shows up in a part of my screen.

Thanks so much for Emacs.  What a wondrous system --
one of the real seven wonders of the world.  Forced to
choose between Emacs and, say, any pyramid, I'd take
Emacs.

Bob

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin, X toolkit)
 of 2006-03-22 on kodaira.local

configured using `configure powerpc-apple-darwin
- --prefix=/sw --with-x --with-x-toolkit=lucid
- --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gif
'--infodir=${prefix}/share/info'
'--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
'--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib''

* Re: Fwd: follow-mode arg should be optional
@ 2007-07-18 18:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-18 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]

I responded to him directly even before you sent your first "reminder".
Please improve your system so as to detect those situations because they
tend to be rather frequent.

* Re: Fwd: follow-mode arg should be optional
@ 2007-07-20 13:42   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I responded to him directly even before you sent your first "reminder".
    Please improve your system so as to detect those situations because they
    tend to be rather frequent.

I don't think that is possible.  How could a program tell that the
message you sent, which wasn't sent as a reply to mine, actually
responded to the issue?  That would take real AI.

* Re: Fwd: follow-mode arg should be optional
@ 2007-07-20 16:16     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I don't think that is possible.  How could a program tell that the
> message you sent, which wasn't sent as a reply to mine, actually
> responded to the issue?  That would take real AI.

Well, your system could easily tell that it's a reply to *his* message.

* Re: Fwd: follow-mode arg should be optional
@ 2007-07-21 16:54       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > I don't think that is possible.  How could a program tell that the
    > message you sent, which wasn't sent as a reply to mine, actually
    > responded to the issue?  That would take real AI.

    Well, your system could easily tell that it's a reply to *his* message.

It could tell that, but that doesn't mean it responds to what I asked
for in my message.  It might have been a request for more information,
for instance.