* send-mail-function / mailclient
@ 2009-01-18 20:14 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-01-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Back when we introduced mailclient.el, we used it as default for OS X,
because there, the built-in postfix mail sending function did not work
right and led to e-mail being swallowed.  In recent OS X versions,
this has been fixed.  Postfix is started on demand without the need
for user configuration.

Second, there are issues with mailclient's "mailto" URL method of
invoking the mail client application in connection with the popular
Gmail service (the helper application that passes the mailto URL on to
the web service does not accept long URLs).  This is a bug in Google's
software, not ours, but users are struggling with it.

Third, the mailclient method would be more convenient if mail was
composed by Emacs, but then passed on to the mail client to be edited
there.  This is the normal intention of the "mailto" method.  Right
now, the message is edited in Emacs and then passed on to the mail
client, where it is edited (or editable) again, before being sent
off.  I think this is inconvenient.

It may therefore be sensible to revise the default for send-mail-
function in Emacs 23, given that it was a workaround for the lack of
Postfix configuration.  The workaround is not needed any more, and we
could use the local mail server in all cases (maybe not on Windows).

On the downside, I find that sending mail Postfix-style does not work
as well as it used to, due to crippled mail servers that refuse to
accept mail from dynamic IP ranges (i.e. home broadband) as a spam-
defense.

So, the whole thing is debatable.  The argument is less dependent on
the specific system now.  Quite possibly, a choice of `mailclient' for
all systems (sans Windows?) may be in order.

In order to ensure that Emacs bug reports always reach the
destination, one could also use a `mailclient' variant that sends e-
mail directly to a CGI running on Savannah.  That would require online
connectivity, of course.