* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 01b97f9 1/2: Move VC diff ASYNC argument to the fifth position
       [not found] ` <E1Y06mS-0001iy-Fl@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-14 14:18   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-12-14 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Dmitry Gutov

>     Move VC diff ASYNC argument to the fifth position

BTW, we should devise a "standard" way to turn an async operation into
a synchronous one, so that APIs such as the one used for VC backends can
simply always work asynchronously, and if the client needs the answer
right away he can just use this standard way.

I guess part of this answer could look like url-future.el.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 01b97f9 1/2: Move VC diff ASYNC argument to the fifth position
@ 2014-12-14 15:04     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-12-14 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 12/14/2014 04:18 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>      Move VC diff ASYNC argument to the fifth position
>
> BTW, we should devise a "standard" way to turn an async operation into
> a synchronous one, so that APIs such as the one used for VC backends can
> simply always work asynchronously, and if the client needs the answer
> right away he can just use this standard way.

Right, it can be a better replacement for `vc-exec-after'.

It would again break compatibility, but still checking if the returned
arg is a promise, and if so forcing it, would be easier than calling
`vc-call-backend' with different arguments depending on the Emacs version.