* Tool bar buttons do not respond while redisplaying?
@ 2006-03-23 20:35 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-03-23 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

While working on my MPC.el front end to the Music Player Daemon, I noticed
that the tool bar buttons (which I usually don't use) aren't very
responsive, or more specifically, ignore some of my clicks.

This is on GNU/Linux with a default Xaw3d build.

Here is the best way I can describe the behavior I'm seeing:

MPC.el runs a timer every second which polls the MPD daemon (via
a network-process) to know which songs is currently playing, and the time
offset (which is the only thing that changes often enough to justify the 1s
pool interval), and then updates the content of the
mpc-status-buffer accordingly.

If I move the mouse over one of the icons of the toolbar, I see that icon
being "raised", as expected, but every second or so it flickers betwen
raised and not raised.
If I happen to click just when it flickers, the click is ignored.

This doesn't render Emacs unusable, but it makes it feel very flaky :-(

* Re: Tool bar buttons do not respond while redisplaying?
@ 2006-03-24  9:15 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-03-24  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> While working on my MPC.el front end to the Music Player Daemon, I noticed
> that the tool bar buttons (which I usually don't use) aren't very
> responsive, or more specifically, ignore some of my clicks.
>
> This is on GNU/Linux with a default Xaw3d build.
>
> Here is the best way I can describe the behavior I'm seeing:
>
> MPC.el runs a timer every second which polls the MPD daemon (via
> a network-process) to know which songs is currently playing, and the time
> offset (which is the only thing that changes often enough to justify the 1s
> pool interval), and then updates the content of the
> mpc-status-buffer accordingly.
>
> If I move the mouse over one of the icons of the toolbar, I see that icon
> being "raised", as expected, but every second or so it flickers betwen
> raised and not raised.
> If I happen to click just when it flickers, the click is ignored.
>
> This doesn't render Emacs unusable, but it makes it feel very flaky :-(

I found a simpler way to provoke the same behaviour:

* emacs -Q
* (setq mouse-highlight 1)
* move cursor over a raised tool-bar icon
* wait for the tool-tip to go away
* press and release the CTRL key

This briefly changes the icon to "not-raised" and the mouse pointer
from an arrow to the "text cursor".

* Re: Tool bar buttons do not respond while redisplaying?
@ 2006-03-24 23:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-03-24 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    If I move the mouse over one of the icons of the toolbar, I see that icon
    being "raised", as expected, but every second or so it flickers betwen
    raised and not raised.
    If I happen to click just when it flickers, the click is ignored.

    This doesn't render Emacs unusable, but it makes it feel very flaky :-(

I think it is not essential to fix this before the release.
But it would be useful to debug the problem, because there might be
a simple fix that we would want to install now.