* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
       [not found] <87hcm130rf.fsf@toyland.sauerland.de>
@ 2007-09-12 11:40 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-12 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:

> Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
> I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
> emacsclient to pop up a new window.
> XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
> haven't found anything similar in Emacs.

It seems that there's no other way than to launch emacs -nw in a
screen(1) and forget about it.  Since Emacs has become a true server, it
may be a good idea to had a `-daemon' option or something like that.

Any opinion?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |       One user is enough.              |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    People suck.                        |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-12 15:47   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-12 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-devel

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

  > Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:
  >
  > > Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
  > > I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
  > > emacsclient to pop up a new window.
  > > XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
  > > haven't found anything similar in Emacs.
  >
  > It seems that there's no other way than to launch emacs -nw in a
  > screen(1) and forget about it.  Since Emacs has become a true server, it
  > may be a good idea to had a `-daemon' option or something like that.
  >
  > Any opinion?

It would be great to be able to do this. Karoly said on this list that
the way to implement this is to implement a special kind of display
that does not output anything.

We just need someone that is interested to work on this...

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-12 16:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-12 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, emacs-devel

>> > Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
>> > I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
>> > emacsclient to pop up a new window.
>> > XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
>> > haven't found anything similar in Emacs.
>>
>> It seems that there's no other way than to launch emacs -nw in a
>> screen(1) and forget about it.  Since Emacs has become a true server, it
>> may be a good idea to had a `-daemon' option or something like that.
>>
>> Any opinion?

> It would be great to be able to do this. Karoly said on this list that
> the way to implement this is to implement a special kind of display
> that does not output anything.

> We just need someone that is interested to work on this...

Basically, it'd be like -batch except without the `noninteractive' and
such stuff.