* Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-04  1:25 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-02-04  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

In the past we have set the severity for bugs that we think need to be
fixed before the next release to higher than normal. I didn't really
like that idea, because eg a long-term goal can be "important", and a
minor doc bug can be something to fix before the next release.

So I suggest trying instead the "block/unblock" feature, and to that end
created bug#19758 and 19759 for tracking bugs relevant to 24.5 and 25.1,
respectively. I added a small number of items to get started;
feel free to add your own.

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-04 14:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-04 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> So I suggest trying instead the "block/unblock" feature, and to that end
> created bug#19758 and 19759 for tracking bugs relevant to 24.5 and 25.1,
> respectively. I added a small number of items to get started;
> feel free to add your own.

Can you give a little primer for how to use those?

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-04 18:58   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-02-04 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> So I suggest trying instead the "block/unblock" feature, and to that end
>> created bug#19758 and 19759 for tracking bugs relevant to 24.5 and 25.1,
>> respectively. I added a small number of items to get started;
>> feel free to add your own.
>
> Can you give a little primer for how to use those?

Say bug 123 is one that needs to be fixed for Emacs 24.5.
Send a message to control that says:

block 19758 by 123

That's basically it. Closing 123 when it is fixed is still the right thing.
If you made a mistake, s/block/unblock to undo it.

You can see the blocking bugs at http://debbugs.gnu.org/19758 .

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-04 21:49     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-04 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> block 19758 by 123

Hmm... how do we get this magic 19758 number?

        Stefan "dreaming of `block 24.5 by 123'"

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-04 23:32       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-02-04 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> block 19758 by 123
>
> Hmm... how do we get this magic 19758 number?

You'll have to remember it. Or search for emacs bugs with "release" in
the subject.

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-05  8:44     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-02-05  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

>>> So I suggest trying instead the "block/unblock" feature, and to that end
>>> created bug#19758 and 19759 for tracking bugs relevant to 24.5 and 25.1,
>>> respectively. I added a small number of items to get started;
>>> feel free to add your own.
>>
>> Can you give a little primer for how to use those?
>
> Say bug 123 is one that needs to be fixed for Emacs 24.5.
> Send a message to control that says:
>
> block 19758 by 123
>
> That's basically it. Closing 123 when it is fixed is still the right thing.
> If you made a mistake, s/block/unblock to undo it.
>
> You can see the blocking bugs at http://debbugs.gnu.org/19758 .

I've committed a patch to debbugs-gnu (GNU ELPA), which adds the keys
"b" and "B" for showing "blockedby" and "blocks" bugs.

The control messages "block", "unblock" and "unmerge" are also supported
now.

Let me know, if you need more.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-05  8:53         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-02-05  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> block 19758 by 123
>>
>> Hmm... how do we get this magic 19758 number?
>
> You'll have to remember it. Or search for emacs bugs with "release" in
> the subject.

There might be two other possibilities to mark such bugs. I haven't
tested both yet.

- Use a proper user tag, like "For Emacs 24.5". Add this tag to all
  related bugs. Display bugs with this user tag.

- Use the "outlook" control message to mark such bugs, plus a proper
  search mechanism. But I have the feeling that this isn't implemented
  on debbugs.gnu.org (at least it isn't documented there). See
  description at <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control#outlook>

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-17 23:24       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-02-17 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus, Glenn Morris; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 02/05/2015 10:44 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

> I've committed a patch to debbugs-gnu (GNU ELPA), which adds the keys
> "b" and "B" for showing "blockedby" and "blocks" bugs.

How (where) does one use these bindings?

* Re: Try using block/unblock for bugs relevant to releases
@ 2015-02-18  8:35         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-02-18  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

>> I've committed a patch to debbugs-gnu (GNU ELPA), which adds the keys
>> "b" and "B" for showing "blockedby" and "blocks" bugs.
>
> How (where) does one use these bindings?

With the lists produced by the debbugs-gnu* commands. The current
published debbugs version in GNU ELPA (0.6) does not offer this feature,
it will be part of the next 0.7 version. But you can work with a git
checkout of ELPA.

Best regards, Michael.