* Why was tpu-edt obsolete as of emacs 24.5?
@ 2018-02-18 19:12 Ed James
From: Ed James @ 2018-02-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have been using Xemacs on Solaris for the past 15 years or so.
During that period I added many tpu procedures and interfaced them with
Xemacs tpu-edt.
I now have a Mac with Sierra and am trying to get emacs 25.3 to run with my
old elisp modules.

Why was tpu-edt declared obsolete?
Did it cause failures?
Is the tpu-edt.el.gz in the obsolete directory usable?
Should I get and older version of emacs prior to 24.5?
Should I install Xemacs on my Mac?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Voyle James
vejames1@gmail.com
5113 Avoca Av
Ellicott City, MD 21043-6614
410-258-3063

* Re: Why was tpu-edt obsolete as of emacs 24.5?
@ 2018-02-18 20:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-02-18 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed James; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ed James <vejames1@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:12:11 -0500
>
> Is the tpu-edt.el.gz in the obsolete directory usable?

Yes, it is.

* Re: Why was tpu-edt obsolete as of emacs 24.5?
@ 2018-02-21 19:55 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-02-21 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Why was tpu-edt declared obsolete?
> Did it cause failures?
> Is the tpu-edt.el.gz in the obsolete directory usable?

As Eli said, yes it should be perfectly usable (just use (require 'tpu)
to force loading it).  But note that it will disappear in some future
Emacs.  If you want to keep using it, the best course of action is to
add it to GNU ELPA.  Would you be interested to maintain it?