From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
Cc: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>, Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: XEmacs compatibility (was: Yikes! easy-menu-add is suddenly compiled to `ignore', without any warning)
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 10:30:59 -0400	[thread overview]

> OTOH, removing it will make the life of those people who try to keep
> their packages compatible with XEmacs more complicated.

This breed is critically endangered, and for me the sooner it goes
extinct the better, because they make the life of the rest of us
more complicated.

AFAIK in the current Emacs and GNU ELPA code there are only 2 packages
left which care about XEmacs compatibility: CC-mode and verilog-mode
(both of which try to maintain compatibility with Emacs-21 as well,
which makes sense, since XEmacs hasn't seen very much development since
the days of Emacs-21, so the two featuresets have more or less the same
age).

        Stefan