* Strange ChangeLog entry after merge from emacs-24
@ 2014-12-06  8:36 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-12-06  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  2014-12-05  Paul Eggert  <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
  2014-12-05  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org>

	  * .gitignore: Ignore test/biditest.txt.

What happened here?  Not that it was a significant contribution for
which I'd object sharing the credit with Paul, but there might be a
larger merging problem hiding behind this.

What am I missing?

* Re: Strange ChangeLog entry after merge from emacs-24
@ 2014-12-07 17:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-12-07 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:36:31 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>

>   2014-12-05  Paul Eggert  <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
>   2014-12-05  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> 	  * .gitignore: Ignore test/biditest.txt.
>
> What happened here?  Not that it was a significant contribution for
> which I'd object sharing the credit with Paul, but there might be a
> larger merging problem hiding behind this.
>
> What am I missing?

Ping!

Should I fix that entry and forget about this?

* Re: Strange ChangeLog entry after merge from emacs-24
@ 2014-12-07 21:18   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-12-07 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> 2014-12-05  Paul Eggert  <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
>> 2014-12-05  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org>
>>
>> * .gitignore: Ignore test/biditest.txt.
>>
>> What happened here?  Not that it was a significant contribution for
>> which I'd object sharing the credit with Paul, but there might be a
>> larger merging problem hiding behind this.
>>
>> What am I missing?

> Ping!
> Should I fix that entry and forget about this?

I think so, yes.

* Re: Strange ChangeLog entry after merge from emacs-24
@ 2014-12-08 17:12     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-12-08 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 16:18:04 -0500
>
> >> 2014-12-05  Paul Eggert  <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> >> 2014-12-05  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org>
> >>
> >> * .gitignore: Ignore test/biditest.txt.
> >>
> >> What happened here?  Not that it was a significant contribution for
> >> which I'd object sharing the credit with Paul, but there might be a
> >> larger merging problem hiding behind this.
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
>
> > Ping!
> > Should I fix that entry and forget about this?
>
> I think so, yes.

Done.

Btw, it also happened in another entry in src/ChangeLog:

  2014-12-05  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org>
  2014-12-05  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org>

	  * dispextern.h (enum bidi_dir_t): Force NEUTRAL_DIR to be zero.
	  (struct bidi_stack): Reduce size by using bit fields and by
	  packing sos, override, and isolate_status into a single 8-bit
	  byte called 'flags'.

So there definitely was some problem in that merge.

(And what's with "merge from emacs-24" followed by "merge from
origin/emacs-24"?)

* Re: Strange ChangeLog entry after merge from emacs-24
@ 2014-12-08 17:17       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-12-08 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> So there definitely was some problem in that merge.

FWIW, I often used to see that kind of thing with bzrmerge.el.
(IIRC I think the changelog-merge plugin did it better.)
It's just something the person doing the merge needs to watch out for,
or that people need to tidy up afterwards.