From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
Cc: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Silencing warnings with a button (was: feature/native-comp c36b4ee 2/2: [TODO] Remove noisy anti-noise feature)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 12:34:01 -0500	[thread overview]

> This is why I think this is not a good feature:
>
> People will make use of it.
>
> Longer version: Of course it is nice for users who don't know any elisp
> to opt-out of seeing warnings that they cannot understand, but I fear
> that users who could contribute by addressing these issues or by at
> least reporting them, will opt-out as well.

FWIW, I tend to agree.  I understand that exposing end-users to warnings
is somewhat problematic, but I think a better solution is to try and
make sure they're presented in a way that is understandable.  E.g. make
sure that the users don't go "oh god, it's all messed up now, what do I do?",
and instead somehow explain:
- these are usually harmless (for the end users).
- these should be reported to the package maintainers (some of whom
  would never see these warnings otherwise, because they never compile
  their own package nor install it via package.el).

E.g., instead of having buttons to silence the warnings, maybe we should
have buttons to "report to maintainers".