* Re: stack size info
@ 2007-03-22 15:19 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ttn; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

STACKSIZE
     The maximum stack size this function needs. In case of recursion,
     every recursive call grows function's stack size with this constant.

########

This is a litte better?

It is mecessary to use "maximum". It is not an exact quantity?

* Re: stack size info
@ 2007-03-26 10:42 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-26 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ttn; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> [...]
> object for `maybe'.
>
> to understand in more detail, you will need to understand how each
> operation interacts with the stack (if at all).  for more info,
> place the cursor after the following form and type `C-x C-e':
>
>   (info "(elisp)Disassembly")
>
> btw, the construct `(or (byte-compile FOO) (symbol-function FOO))'
> is because `byte-compile' returns nil if FOO is already compiled.
>
> thi

> (defun no-op () t)
> no-op
>
> (disassemble (or (byte-compile 'no-op)
>                  (symbol-function 'no-op))
>              (current-buffer))
> byte code:
>   args: nil                             ; stack usage
> 0       constant  t                     ; 1
> 1       return                          ; 0
>
> (defun maybe (object)
>   (when object
>     (let* ((a 42)
>            (b 6))
>       (when (= a (+ b (* b b)))
>         object))))
> maybe
>
> (disassemble (or (byte-compile 'maybe)
>                  (symbol-function 'maybe))
>              (current-buffer))
> byte code:                              ; OBJECT: nil
>   args: (object)                        ; stack usage
> 0       varref    object                ; 1
> 1       goto-if-nil-else-pop 2          ; (branch taken)
> 4       constant  42
> 5       varbind   a
> 6       constant  6
> 7       varbind   b
> 8       varref    a
> 9       varref    b
> 10      dup
> 11      dup
> 12      mult
> 13      plus
> 14      eqlsign
> 15      goto-if-nil-else-pop 1
> 18      varref    object
> 19:1    unbind    2
> 20:2    return                          ; 0
>
> (disassemble (or (byte-compile 'maybe)
>                  (symbol-function 'maybe))
>              (current-buffer))
> byte code:                              ; OBJECT: 42
>   args: (object)                        ; stack usage
> 0       varref    object                ; 1
> 1       goto-if-nil-else-pop 2          ; 0 (branch not taken)
> 4       constant  42                    ; 1
> 5       varbind   a                     ; 0
> 6       constant  6                     ; 1
> 7       varbind   b                     ; 0
> 8       varref    a                     ; 1
> 9       varref    b                     ; 2
> 10      dup                             ; 3
> 11      dup                             ; 4
> 12      mult                            ; 3
> 13      plus                            ; 2
> 14      eqlsign                         ; 1
> 15      goto-if-nil-else-pop 1          ; 0 (branch not taken)
> 18      varref    object                ; 1
> 19:1    unbind    2
> 20:2    return                          ; 0

Thank you very much.

Alin Soare.

* Re: stack size info
@ 2007-03-23 15:08 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-23 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ttn; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

>    From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>    Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:24:10 +0100
>
>    A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:
>
>    > STACKSIZE
>    >      The maximum stack size this function needs. In case of recursion,
>    >      every recursive call grows function's stack size with this constant.
>    >
>    > ########
>    >
>    > This is a litte better?
>
>    I don't think so.  My guess is "The maximum stack size this function
>    needs for execution, disregarding further (including recursive)
>    function calls as those extend the stack on their own."
>
> i'm inclined to leave the docs alone.  the node's entire context is a
> single function and thus the STACKSIZE element of the byte-code function
> object pertains to a single function call.

I think this problem is not at all important, but at a first glance one can imagine something wrong.

> however, if pressed, i will suggest:
> The maximum stack size this function might need when called.
>
> "might" because it is possible that any particular call uses less than
> that amount.  "when called" addresses recursion.

As you wish.

One more important question is "The maximum stack size" or just simply "the stack size". I can not imagine an example in which this STACKSIZE is greater than the actual real size. Can somebody help me with an example, please?

Thanks.

* stack size info
@ 2007-03-20 13:22 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-20 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

16.7 Byte-Code Function Objects
===============================

STACKSIZE
     The maximum stack size this function needs.

------------------------------

(defun p (n)
  "sum"
  (if (> n 1) (+ n (p (1- n)))
    n))

(byte-compile 'p)
(symbol-function 'p)

#[(n)
  "..."
  [n 1 p]
  3            <=<= here is the stack size.
  "sum"]

But I believe that a recursive function has the stack greater, 3*n, not 3. For every recursion I believe that the stack size get greater with 3, so the stack is dependent of n. Is it true?

Is this a little error of explanation in INFO file?