* UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-10 14:16 İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2009-02-10 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs- devel

Hi,

This is a very old problem for me at least 2-3 years. But since rmail
got active development again. Here goes the bug report. My name in
/etc/passwd is defined as:

cartman:x:1000:1000:İsmail Dönmez,,,:/home/cartman:/bin/zsh

Now in emacs when I do C-x m , I see the following:

From: "=?utf-8?Q?=C4=B0smail_D=C3=B6nmez?=" <cartman@uzaklarda>
Subject:
--text follows this line--

So the name is pretty much garbage now. Is this somehow expected or is it a bug?

Regards,
ismail

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-10 16:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-10 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:16:01 +0200
> From: =?UTF-8?B?xLBzbWFpbCBEw7ZubWV6?= <ismail@namtrac.org>
>
> cartman:x:1000:1000:İsmail Dönmez,,,:/home/cartman:/bin/zsh
>
> Now in emacs when I do C-x m , I see the following:
>
> From: "=?utf-8?Q?=C4=B0smail_D=C3=B6nmez?=" <cartman@uzaklarda>
> Subject:
> --text follows this line--
>

> So the name is pretty much garbage now. Is this somehow expected or is it a bug?

That's not garbage, that's how non-ASCII characters in email addresses
need to be encoded.

The problem is that mail transport does not allow (or at least didn't
allow in the past) non-ASCII characters in any of the mail headers,
because various mail servers need to look at the headers.  So Emacs
encodes the non-ASCII characters in quoted-printable encoding.

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-11  2:35   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-02-11  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:16:01 +0200
>> From: =?UTF-8?B?xLBzbWFpbCBEw7ZubWV6?= <ismail@namtrac.org>
>>
>> cartman:x:1000:1000:İsmail Dönmez,,,:/home/cartman:/bin/zsh
>>
>> Now in emacs when I do C-x m , I see the following:
>>
>> From: "=?utf-8?Q?=C4=B0smail_D=C3=B6nmez?=" <cartman@uzaklarda>
>> Subject:
>> --text follows this line--
>>

>> So the name is pretty much garbage now. Is this somehow expected or is it a bug?
>
> That's not garbage, that's how non-ASCII characters in email addresses
> need to be encoded.
>
> The problem is that mail transport does not allow (or at least didn't
> allow in the past) non-ASCII characters in any of the mail headers,
> because various mail servers need to look at the headers.  So Emacs
> encodes the non-ASCII characters in quoted-printable encoding.

How about a tooltip or local help over the header content, to display
the decoded value?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-11  4:19     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-11  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:35:19 -0700
>
> How about a tooltip or local help over the header content, to display
> the decoded value?

Post 23.1, this would be a good idea.

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-11  6:23   ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-02-11  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: ismail, emacs-devel

How about making sendmail-send-it do the encoding,
so that users can see the names in a readable form
in the *mail* buffer?

It would also be convenient for Rmail to automatically decode
all the header fields that it displays.

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-11  7:07     ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2009-02-11  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Richard M Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> How about making sendmail-send-it do the encoding,
> so that users can see the names in a readable form
> in the *mail* buffer?
>
> It would also be convenient for Rmail to automatically decode
> all the header fields that it displays.

This would be the best option imho.

@ 2009-02-11 14:09   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-11 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: İsmail Dönmez, emacs-devel

>> cartman:x:1000:1000:İsmail Dönmez,,,:/home/cartman:/bin/zsh
>>
>> Now in emacs when I do C-x m , I see the following:
>>
>> From: "=?utf-8?Q?=C4=B0smail_D=C3=B6nmez?=" <cartman@uzaklarda>
>> Subject:
>> --text follows this line--
>>
>> So the name is pretty much garbage now. Is this somehow expected or is it a bug?

> That's not garbage, that's how non-ASCII characters in email addresses
> need to be encoded.

Well, yes, but the encoding needs to happen when you send the message,
not before.

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-11 20:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-11 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: ismail, emacs-devel

> From: Richard M Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: ismail@namtrac.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:23:14 -0500
>
> How about making sendmail-send-it do the encoding,
> so that users can see the names in a readable form
> in the *mail* buffer?

Not all mail backends in Emacs use sendmail-send-it, IIRC.

* Re: UTF-8 problem with rmail From line
@ 2009-02-12  2:00       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-12  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: ismail, rms, emacs-devel

>> How about making sendmail-send-it do the encoding,
>> so that users can see the names in a readable form
>> in the *mail* buffer?

> Not all mail backends in Emacs use sendmail-send-it, IIRC.

No, but they should all handle non-ASCII chars in the headers.