* vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-10-29 10:13 Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2005-10-29 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

While I'm trying to rename a file with 'vc-rename-file', the old file
was deleted from my working copy, and a new file was created,
everything seems ok, but if I checkout a fresh new working copy, the
old file and the new one was check out all together.  It seems like
that the "cvs remove" commond doen't issue at all.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
 of 2005-10-27 on dorm
X server distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
configured using `configure '--with-gtk' 'CFLAGS=-g''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.GBK
  locale-coding-system: gbk
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-04 20:11 ` Aaron S. Hawley
From: Aaron S. Hawley @ 2005-11-04 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a quick glance at this problem it may have been related to the
removal of the function `vc-cvs-rename-file'.

<http://sv.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/vc-cvs.el.diff?r1=1.61&r2=1.62>

@ 2005-11-04 20:53   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-04 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> While I'm trying to rename a file with 'vc-rename-file', the old file
>> was deleted from my working copy, and a new file was created,
>> everything seems ok, but if I checkout a fresh new working copy, the
>> old file and the new one was check out all together.  It seems like
>> that the "cvs remove" commond doen't issue at all.

> After a quick glance at this problem it may have been related to the
> removal of the function `vc-cvs-rename-file'.

> <http://sv.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/vc-cvs.el.diff?r1=1.61&r2=1.62>

AFAICT this shouldn't make any difference.  The vc-cvs-rename-file had the
same requirement that the user had to commit both the OLD and the NEW
files afterwards.

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-08 18:03     ` Aaron S. Hawley
From: Aaron S. Hawley @ 2005-11-08 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> While I'm trying to rename a file with 'vc-rename-file', the old file
> >> was deleted from my working copy, and a new file was created,
> >> everything seems ok, but if I checkout a fresh new working copy, the
> >> old file and the new one was check out all together.  It seems like
> >> that the "cvs remove" commond doen't issue at all.

> > After a quick glance at this problem it may have been related to the
> > removal of the function `vc-cvs-rename-file'.

> AFAICT this shouldn't make any difference.  The vc-cvs-rename-file had the
> same requirement that the user had to commit both the OLD and the NEW
> files afterwards.

I guess that does make sense.  Isn't that different across backends?
Shouldn't something like the following be mentioned in the manual?

*** files.texi	31 Oct 2005 13:56:40 -0500	1.121
--- files.texi	08 Nov 2005 13:00:38 -0500
***************
*** 2573,2578 ****
--- 2573,2583 ----
  snapshot thus modified may not completely work (@pxref{Snapshot
  Caveats}).

+   Some backends do not provide an explicit rename operation to their
+ repositories.  After issuing @code{vc-rename-file}, use @kbd{C-x v v}
+ on the original and renamed buffers and provide the necessary edit
+ log.
+
    You cannot use @code{vc-rename-file} on a file that is locked by
  someone else.

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-08 18:07       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I guess that does make sense.  Isn't that different across backends?
> Shouldn't something like the following be mentioned in the manual?

> *** files.texi	31 Oct 2005 13:56:40 -0500	1.121
> --- files.texi	08 Nov 2005 13:00:38 -0500
> ***************
> *** 2573,2578 ****
> --- 2573,2583 ----
>   snapshot thus modified may not completely work (@pxref{Snapshot
>   Caveats}).

> +   Some backends do not provide an explicit rename operation to their
> + repositories.  After issuing @code{vc-rename-file}, use @kbd{C-x v v}
> + on the original and renamed buffers and provide the necessary edit
> + log.
> +
>     You cannot use @code{vc-rename-file} on a file that is locked by
>   someone else.

That sounds right,

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-09  2:57       ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-09  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

    +   Some backends do not provide an explicit rename operation to their
    + repositories.  After issuing @code{vc-rename-file}, use @kbd{C-x v v}
    + on the original and renamed buffers and provide the necessary edit
    + log.

Thanks for pointing this out.

To make this really clear, we need to tell the user how to recognize
this situation, so that he knows it is necessary to use C-x v v that
way.  Can anyone tell me the criterion or write further text saying
it?

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-17  0:04         ` Aaron S. Hawley
From: Aaron S. Hawley @ 2005-11-17  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> To make this really clear, we need to tell the user how to recognize
> this situation, so that he knows it is necessary to use C-x v v that
> way.  Can anyone tell me the criterion or write further text saying
> it?

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't explain the "@@"  syntax that appears in
the mode line for files under VC (and using CVS?) that are uncommitted and
therefore lack a version number.  That's one item users could use to help
"recognize this situation" and to know what to do next. It could be
mentioned either in the manual section titled "VC Mode Line" or the
"Registering" subsection under "Secondary VC Commands".

I'd have to investigate all the backends to see how they respond to
`vc-rename-file', but my guess is only CVS acts this way.  Below is a
draft check list based on what I know.  Perhaps, others could contribute
more based on what they know.

 * RCS, CSSC - renames working and master files at filesystem level
 * CVS, Meta-CVS(?) - requires commit after renaming
 * Arch(?), Svn(?) - the backend supports renaming

For those who wish to test VC mode with CVS, I've tried to document on the
Emacs Wiki how to initialize a minimal CVS repository:

<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/ConcurrentVersionsSystem>

/a

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-17  2:28           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-17  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>  * RCS, CSSC - renames working and master files at filesystem level
>  * CVS, Meta-CVS(?) - requires commit after renaming
>  * Arch(?), Svn(?) - the backend supports renaming

Meta-CVS supports renaming, just like Subversion and Arch.

* Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
@ 2005-11-18 16:55           ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Unfortunately, the manual doesn't explain the "@@"  syntax that appears in
    the mode line for files under VC (and using CVS?) that are uncommitted and
    therefore lack a version number.

I will add that.  Thanks.