* 22.1.50; newsticker and buffer-invisibility-spec:
@ 2007-08-20 13:28 raman
From: raman @ 2007-08-20 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

I've not used newsticker in a while, and I noticed today that
there seems to be  a problem with the way
buffer-invisibility-spec is getting handled in newsticker
buffers.

Could someone who can see the display look at it and confirm that
there is a problem, or that it is indeed doing the right thing so
I can chase this down further?

In GNU Emacs 22.1.50.21 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
 of 2007-08-18 on labrador
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local' '--with-toolkit=gtk''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Recent input:
h C-s RET ESC < ESC [ [ D C-x d C h * RET ESC > p f
ESC < ESC > ESC [ [ D p p p p p p p p p n f ESC < C-s
n e w s t i c k ESC m C-n C-e t C-n C-n C-n C-s C-s
C-s C-s C-s C-s ESC m C-n C-h v i n v i s TAB ESC DEL
i n v i TAB C-g C-n C-h v b u f f e r SPC i n v i TAB
RET C-n C-s C-s C-n ESC [ [ D ESC [ [ D ESC [ [ D ESC
x n e w s t i TAB s h o TAB n TAB s RET C-e m C-x 1
C-n C-e x v 1 RET ESC < C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-e m C-n C-n ESC [ [ D ESC m ESC : b u f f e r - i
n v i s i t b ESC DEL i n v i s i b i l i t y - s p
e c RET ESC m C-e ESC v ESC : ( t e x t - p r o p ESC
TAB i ESC TAB SPC ( p o i n t ) ) RET ESC m C-n ESC
> C-p C-p RET p RET C-e m ESC m C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n q q C-x @ h m ' d q ESC x r e p o r t SPC e
m TAB b TAB RET

Recent messages:
Saving...
Saving file /home/raman/mbox...
Wrote /home/raman/mbox
Sorting for index file...
Stuffing index file...
Writing index file...
Wrote /home/raman/.mbox.idx
Writing index file... done
nil

 --Raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: 22.1.50; newsticker and buffer-invisibility-spec:
@ 2007-08-20 14:20 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-20 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

raman <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

Hi,

> I've not used newsticker in a while, and I noticed today that there
> seems to be a problem with the way buffer-invisibility-spec is getting
> handled in newsticker buffers.
>
> Could someone who can see the display look at it and confirm that
> there is a problem, or that it is indeed doing the right thing so I
> can chase this down further?

I use newsticker every day and I don't see any problems.  How can I
reproduce your problems?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: 22.1.50; newsticker and buffer-invisibility-spec:
@ 2007-08-20 14:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> I've not used newsticker in a while, and I noticed today that there seems
> to be  a problem with the way buffer-invisibility-spec is getting handled
> in newsticker buffers.

> Could someone who can see the display look at it and confirm that
> there is a problem, or that it is indeed doing the right thing so
> I can chase this down further?

I don't know how to run the newsticker code to try it out, but the code
looks odd indeed: it presumes that the invisibility property can be a list
of values and that if one of those values is a member of
buffer-invisibility-spec then the text is invisible.  But in reality, the
invisible property is not treated as a list, its value (which could
presumably be a list, but that would be asking for trouble) is directly
looked up in buffer-invisibility-spec.
I.e. newsticker--lists-intersect-p (which is always called with
(get-text-property FOO 'invisible) as first arg and buffer-invisibility-spec
as second, so it should really be replaced by a new function
newsticker--invisible-p) should be newsticker--list-member-p or somesuch.

But fixing this function is not enough because the rest of the code makes
use of the nonexistent feature.  I've looked at the XEmacs-21.4.20 docstring
for buffer-invisibility-spec and it doesn't seem to document such an
extension either, so I have no idea in which circumstance this code
may work.

The problematic code was part of the 1.1 revision (checked in on 12 Sep
2005), so there's no change log to explain the problem.

* Re: 22.1.50; newsticker and buffer-invisibility-spec:
@ 2007-08-22 10:47   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-08-22 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tassilo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

This was a bug on my end.

@ 2007-08-22 10:48   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-08-22 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman

Its bizarre use of buffer-invisibility-spec was triggering a bug
in the context of Emacspeak. I've fixed my code to work around it
-- but it would be good to get newsticker fixed up to match
emacs' use of buffer-invisibility-spec.

@ 2007-08-22 18:55     ` Ulf Jasper
From: Ulf Jasper @ 2007-08-22 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, monnier

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
> Its bizarre use of buffer-invisibility-spec was triggering a bug
> in the context of Emacspeak. I've fixed my code to work around it
> -- but it would be good to get newsticker fixed up to match
> emacs' use of buffer-invisibility-spec.

I'll have a look the next days.

Ulf

--
ANMERKUNG: Zwecks nicht notwendiges zu vermeiden verzögert und
Komplikationen, erinnern bitte sich deinen Hinweis und Kuponzahlen in

* Re: 22.1.50; newsticker and buffer-invisibility-spec:
@ 2007-08-25 15:32       ` Ulf Jasper
From: Ulf Jasper @ 2007-08-25 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, monnier

> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
>> Its bizarre use of buffer-invisibility-spec was triggering a bug
>> in the context of Emacspeak. I've fixed my code to work around it
>> -- but it would be good to get newsticker fixed up to match
>> emacs' use of buffer-invisibility-spec.

Newsticker sets `buffer-invisibility-spec´ to a list like '(ATOM1
ATOM2 ... ATOMn). It also sets the 'invisible text property to a list
like ´(ATOMi ... ATOMk). If I understand the Elisp manual (for GNU
Emacs 22.1) correctly,
 -- Variable: buffer-invisibility-spec
     This variable specifies which kinds of `invisible' properties
     actually make a character invisible.  Setting this variable makes
     it buffer-local.

    `t'
          A character is invisible if its `invisible' property is
          non-`nil'.  This is the default.

    a list
          Each element of the list specifies a criterion for
          invisibility; if a character's `invisible' property fits any
          one of these criteria, the character is invisible.  The list
          can have two kinds of elements:

         `ATOM'
               A character is invisible if its `invisible' property
               value is ATOM or if it is a list with ATOM as a member.

         `(ATOM . t)'
               A character is invisible if its `invisible' property
               value is ATOM or if it is a list with ATOM as a member.
               Moreover, if this character is at the end of a line and
               is followed by a visible newline, it displays an
               ellipsis.
the usage of `buffer-invisibility-spec' and the 'invisible text
property is valid. In which case it is not "bizarre", not even "odd".

Ulf

--

@ 2007-08-25 19:49         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-25 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Jasper; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman

>> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
>>> Its bizarre use of buffer-invisibility-spec was triggering a bug
>>> in the context of Emacspeak. I've fixed my code to work around it
>>> -- but it would be good to get newsticker fixed up to match
>>> emacs' use of buffer-invisibility-spec.

> Newsticker sets `buffer-invisibility-spec´ to a list like '(ATOM1
> ATOM2 ... ATOMn). It also sets the 'invisible text property to a list
> like ´(ATOMi ... ATOMk). If I understand the Elisp manual (for GNU
> Emacs 22.1) correctly,
[...]
> the usage of `buffer-invisibility-spec' and the 'invisible text
> property is valid. In which case it is not "bizarre", not even "odd".

Duh, you're absolutely right, and the C code agrees with the doc.
text-invisible-p needs to be updated accordingly.

Thanks for digging further and sorry for the false alarm,