From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To: dhruva <dhruva@ymail.com>
Cc: Emacs Development <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Requesting bzr repository of emacs on savannah
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:27:16 -0400	[thread overview]

>  I have been using the bzr repository of emacs from:
>  http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/.  I am using the development
>  version of bzr and things have improved in terms of
>  performance.  I have also been lurking on the #bzr IRC channel and see
>  a lot of positive vibes and focus on improving performance.

>  At this juncture, I request (once again) to the emacs maintainers to
>  request savannah hackers to setup a read only bzr repository for
>  emacs.  I did chat on the #savannah on IRC and was told that the
>  project maintainers need to make a request and they can easily do it.

>  The main reason I am making this request is that connectivity to
>  "bzr.notengoamigos.org" is slow and affects the perception of bzr
>  user.  From 2 days, my connection is breaking mid way and prevents me
>  from pulling changes.  I am looking for something more reliable.

I've been using a bzr branch for my own local branch and basically use
bzr for everything except "commit to trunk", ever since the
bzr.notengoamigos.org mirror was setup.  Performance of bzr seems OK for
my use nowadays.  I.e. we could switch to bzr "any time".  The main
hurdle for now is that the bzr.notengoamigos.org itself is not quite
good enough and lacks all the merge info from Miles's Arch mirror (it
also lacks the file-move info).

So a new conversion of the CVS repository to bzr is needed that will fix
those problem.  We could switch to bzr as soon as this is done.

As for the speed of bzr.notengoamigos.org, I haven't noticed it being
slow (but then again I update every day or so, and usually at times
when I do other things anyway).  But there's a copy of that branch up on
http://arch.savannah.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/trunk, which any member
of the "emacs" group can update via sftp.